Shropshire Council website

This is the website of Shropshire Council

Contact information



0345 678 9000

Postal Address

Shropshire Council
Abbey Foregate

Top tasks



Data protection

The Data Protection Act was introduced to protect personal data about individuals. It sets out rules and conditions which all users of personal information must obey when collecting and using it. 

We make sure that the information we keep about you is:

What are my rights under the Data Protection Act?

  • to ask us if we hold information about you and to receive a copy of that information
  • to ask us not to process information that causes unwarranted damage or distress to you
  • to ask us not to process your information for direct marketing purposes
  • to object to decisions made only by automatic means and ask for human involvement
  • to claim compensation for damage and distress caused by a breach of the act
  • to ask us to rectify, block, erase or destroy any inaccurate information we hold about you
  • to ask the information commissioner to assess whether the act has been contravened.

How do I ask to see my information? 

You can request this information online, in person or by downloading the pdf application form. Find out more.

Do I have to pay to see my information? 

There's an administrative charge of £10, which is a national fee. We're unable to process your request until the fee has been paid.

How will the information be provided?

Your information will usually be provided as a hard copy, sent by special delivery post, to your place of residence. In some circumstances, other arrangements can be made.

Will I be able to see all the information held on me?

You may not be entitled to see all the information held on you if one of the data protection exemptions apply. We'll tell you if any information has been taken out of the copy provided to you where we're able to do so. 

We'll also give you an explanation of the exemption that has been used, for example: 

  • if the information is about another person (third party information) - because of the nature of some of our files, other people could be mentioned in them. This information is personal information about someone else and would therefore be withheld from you. 
  • if information has been given to us in confidence - we wouldn't release the details of the person who had given us the information without their consent to do so. 

Can I see my children’s records? 

As a parent or guardian you can request access to school records until your child is 18 years old. This should be done directly to the school/college that your child attends. You may be charged photocopying costs. 

For information other than school records, if your child is over the age of 12 years, and they understand what access to their information means, they must provide consent for their information to be disclosed. 

Who is entitled to make a request?

In cases where a person is not capable of understanding or exercising their rights, because they are too young or suffer from a severe mental impairment, then access requests may be made by parents or other persons who are legally able to act on their behalf. 

I've applied to see my personal information - what happens next?

By law we must provide you with a copy of your information within 40 calendar days of receipt of your payment. We will however, endeavour to provide you with your information as soon as possible. 

Where can I get more information? 

You can contact the Information Governance Team.

You can also find more information about the Data Protection Act from the Information Commissioner’s website.

Online services and downloads


Information Governance
01743 252774
Shropshire Council
Legal Services
Abbey Foregate Shrewsbury Shropshire SY2 6ND
Last updated: 24 February 2016 Print this page

Back to top