Shropshire Council website

This is the website of Shropshire Council

Contact information



0345 678 9000

Postal Address

Shropshire Council
Abbey Foregate

Top tasks



Register a birth

A baby’s birth must, by law, be registered within 42 days of the date of birth in the district in which the birth occurred. Whilst you are able to give the information for registration to any registrar in England or Wales, unless your child was born in their district you will not leave the office with a birth certificate, this will have to be ordered from the district in which your child was born and will arrive by post. See below for more information.

Make an appointment at a Shropshire Council registration office »

Please note, we're no longer offering the "Tell us once" service for births.

If your child was born in the Shropshire Council area, either at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, Shrewsbury, or at your home, please click on the green button above or phone 0345 678 9016 to make an appointment to register in Shropshire. You can also select this option if your child was born elsewhere and you understand that you won't be given a birth certificate by a Shropshire registrar.

If your child was born in the Borough of Telford and Wrekin, either at the Princess Royal Hospital, Telford, or at your home please use their online booking system or telephone 01952 382444 to make an appointment to register in Telford. You can select this option if your child was born somewhere other than the Borough of Telford and Wrekin and you understand that you will not be given a birth certificate by a Telford & Wrekin Registrar.

If neither of these options suits your particular circumstances or you live outside of Shropshire or Telford & Wrekin, please contact your local registrars. You can find this information on the website.

What documents will I need to bring with me to register the birth?

It's useful if you can bring with you evidence of your names and address and date of birth – for these purposes a full driver’s license and passport would be acceptable, or your birth certificate and a recent utility bill.

What information will the Registrar need?

  • Date and place of birth
  • Sex of the baby
  • Forename/s and surname in which it is intended the baby will be brought up
  • Mother's forename/s and surname (and maiden surname for mothers who are or have been married); date and place of birth; usual address at the date of birth; occupation (optional); date of marriage (if married to the baby's father at the time of birth); number of previous children
  • Where the father's details are to be entered in the register, the registrar will need to know his forename and surname, date and place of birth, and occupation at the time of birth (or last occupation)

It's most important that the information recorded in the register is correct. If a mistake is made, for example in the spelling of a name, it will cause you some trouble to have it corrected later, therefore, entries should be checked very carefully before signing.

Is there a fee for the registration process?

Registration of a birth is free of charge and you'll receive a short birth certificate as part of this process. If you require additional copy certificates they can be purchased at the time of registration, or at any time afterwards.

Can I register the birth outside of Shropshire?

You can go to any other registrar's office in England or Wales and have the birth registered by 'declaration.' If you do this, any birth certificates you may want will be posted to you.

Can a father register a birth?

If the baby's mother and father are married to each other at the time of the birth, the father can register the birth. If they're not, the father's details can be entered into the register in the following ways:

  • If the mother and father both attend at the registration service point to register the birth.
  • If the father cannot attend, it's possible for him to make a statutory declaration acknowledging paternity which must be shown to the registrar. Copies of the declaration form can be obtained from any registrar in England and Wales (a declaration must also be made at the time of registration).
  • If the mother cannot attend at the registrar's, she can make a statutory declaration acknowledging the father's paternity which he can produce. He'll also have to make a declaration at the time of registration.
  • Where the mother and father have made a parental responsibility agreement, or either has obtained an appropriate court order - this should be produced to the registrar and the birth registered by either of them.

If the mother is not married to the baby's father she's not normally obliged to have his details included in the entry. It may be possible to add them later if desired.

What certificates will I get?

After the registration, you'll be given a short birth certificate. These are issued free of charge and will meet most ordinary needs, though a full birth certificate, which is the complete copy of the entry in the register, is also available and is required for passport applications.

Further short and full birth certificates can be purchased at the time of registration or at any time afterwards.

Re-registering a birth

There are two reasons why you should re-register a birth that has already been registered:

  • If the natural parents of the child get married after the child has been born and registered. The re-registration will update the birth certificate.
  • If the natural father's details are not on the original certificate, perhaps because he was not present at the time. Re-registration will update the birth certificate to include his details.
Last updated: 25 February 2016 Print this page

Back to top