Shropshire Council

Dangerous structures

We're responsible for dealing with structures which are deemed to pose an immediate danger to the public. Our role is to deal with the immediate danger if the owner isn't available to do so, or is unknown at the time of the incident. Costs incurred are subsequently charged to the owner. It's not our role to rebuild or rectify faults.

Report a dangerous structure

To report a structure that you consider may be dangerous please call our Building Control team on 01743 258710 or email –

To help us to process the report more quickly, please provide as much information as possible, including the address, location and perceived nature of the danger. If a surveyor needs to attend the site or work needs to be done to remove an immediate danger, costs will be incurred and charged to the registered owner.

Reporting a major structural failure out of hours

If you believe that people are at serious risk of an imminent major structural failure out of hours (between 5pm and 8am, at the weekend or on a public holiday), please call our emergency number on 0345 678 9040.


The controls for demolition are given in sections 80 – 83 of the Building Act 1984.

The process

A demolition notice is required where you intend to demolish any building or part of a building, unless it's due to a council demolition order, a part of an occupied building, a building less than 50 cubic metres, a greenhouse, conservatory, shed, prefabricated garage or an agricultural building.

This notice should be submitted no later than six weeks prior to the intended start date.

Work should not be started before you've received a counter notice under section 81 of the legislation from the local authority, or when six weeks has elapsed since the notice was submitted.

Please note that failure to comply with the legislation regarding demolition under the 1984 Building Act may result in a summary conviction and a fine up to £2,500 (this fine is changeable without prior notice).

Associated required documents

In order for us to process the demolition notice you must provide:

  • A location plan, clearly indicating the buildings to be demolished, all adjacent properties and existing drainage systems to be sealed
  • A copy of the method statement, indicating safe methods of demolition
  • An application form

Further guidance

Further consent for demolition may be required under the Planning Acts. Find out more about demolition on the Planning Portal.