Business Capital Grant Scheme
Grants of £1,000 - £5,000 (capped at £1,500 for start-up and new businesses).
50% match-funded by businesses.
For larger projects, grants of up to £5,000 for start-up and £10,000 for existing businesses may be available. Please discuss this option with your dedicated business support officer.
Who can apply?
- Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)
- Social enterprises
- Community interest companies (CICs)
- Tourism businesses - which qualify as SMEs
- Located in Herefordshire, Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin and Staffordshire local authority areas
Who is excluded from applying?
- Retail, including online retail (refer to the Market Towns Support link on the left of the page)
- Businesses offering services directly to consumers
- Land-based businesses - refer to DEFRA
- Businesses in the primary production of agricultural products as listed in Annex 1 of the EU Treaty
What can the fund be used for?
- Purchase of equipment
- Purchase of plant
- Office furniture
- Improvements to property
- Creation of guest accommodation
- Energy efficient/renewable energy heating, lighting and power systems
The document below, 'Snapshot of Projects already supported', gives details of the kind of projects already benefitting from the fund.
What can the fund NOT be used for?
- Replacement and upgrading of existing equipment - eg computers
- Vehicles that require a road fund licence
- Businesses part-funded from other public sources.
How do I apply?
Regular bidding rounds are held, with the next round closing at 5pm Monday 9 December. Contact Shropshire Council on 01743 252596. You will be asked a few questions about eligibility before an application pack can be sent out.
The Business Enterprise Fund is a £1.26m fund secured from the European Rural Development Fund (ERDF) administered by Shropshire Council.
To assist individuals to start businesses, and encourage existing businesses to invest in projects that will result in increased profitability through efficiency savings and/or expansion and diversification of new products/services, into existing and new markets.
Help available to complete application details
The Business Support Officers are available to support you with completing your application, holding regular workshops which you can book onto, please see the link below.