Shropshire Council

What is the scheme?

English residents of state pensionsable age or over, and those with an eligible disability are able to apply for free or reduced travel by aplying for the concessionary travel scheme administered by Shropshire Council.

Within our scheme there are a number of different options available. You can only apply for one option under the scheme, so have a read through these and select the one that's right for you...

Option 1 - national bus pass

This is issued free of charge and entitles the holder to free travel on all local bus services in England as follows:

  • 9:30am and 11pm, Monday to Friday
  • All day at weekends and on bank holidays

Subject to eligibility, Shropshire bus passes can also be used for free or reduced fares for essential journeys undertaken on community transport schemes in Shropshire.

As a local enhancement, you're now able to use your bus pass on the Shrewsbury Park and Ride services for a reduced fare of 80p return within the same times as detailed above.

A fee of £10 is payable for lost cards. Stolen cards will be replaced free of charge on production of a valid police incident number.

Option 2 - companion or carer bus pass

If you wanted the bus pass but find it difficult to use buses without help from another person, you may be eligible for the companion or carer bus pass. For this option you need to be in receipt of one of the following:

  • Attendance allowance at the higher rate
  • High-rate mobility component of the disabled living allowance with the high-rate care component
  • Enhanced level of mobility component of personal independence payment (PIP)

Companions or carers are only able to travel on journeys starting in Shropshire.

Option 3 - national travel tokens

You would receive tokens to the value of £30 per year.

Available to applicants claiming on disability grounds only; you must provide at least one of the following proofs of disability:

  • Be registered with our Sensory Impairment Service as blind or partially sighted
  • Provide suitable evidence from an eye specialist or optometrist
  • Be registered with our Sensory Impairment Service as deaf with or without speech
  • Provide suitable evidence from an aural specialist confirming your overall hearing level at 70 dBHL or higher
  • Letter from an appropriate medical specialist advising you're without speech
  • Current proof of receipt of disability living allowance with mobility at the higher rate
  • Current proof of receipt of a score of eight points or more under the personal independence payment (PIP) activity 12 (moving around) or activity 7 (communicating verbally)
  • Current proof of receipt of war pension mobility supplement
  • Current proof of receipt of Armed Forces Compensation Scheme with tariffs 1-6 inclusive, or an award letter from the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency
  • Current proof of receipt of industrial injuries disability allowance or reduced earnings allowance
  • Letter from the Department for Transport refusing or withdrawing your driving licence (unless due to drug or alcohol dependency)
  • Letter from GP or medical consultant confirming that your medical condition / medication taken means that you would be refused a driving licence
  • Production of a disabled persons parking badge (blue badge) issued by Shropshire Council

Option 4 - senior rail card

Senior rail cards give anyone who is at state pension age or over a third off first and standard class anytime, off-peak and advance fares. The card costs £9 a year if you apply through us.