Shropshire Council


Please note that this information is intended as a guide only, and all discounts are subject to qualifying criteria and verification.

Single person discount

The full council tax bill assumes there are two adults living in a dwelling. If only one adult lives in a dwelling (as their main home), the council tax bill will be reduced by 25%. This is more commonly known as a single person discount.

To apply for single person discount, the council tax bill for the property must be in your name - you can use the link below to tell us if you have moved. To be awarded a single person discount you must give us details of who is no longer resident at that address, why they have moved and where they are now living, if relevant. If you do not provide all of the necessary information we may refuse your application.

You can apply no more than 30 days before you become the sole resident, and up to 90 days after. You can apply online using the green button below, or by emailing or calling us.

You can apply online on our Citizen Access portal. Click on the green button below, to find out more about the portal and how to access it.

Find out more and apply »

Alternatively you can apply by email or phone using the contact details at the bottom of the page.

Cancel your single person's discount

If you receive single person's discount and no longer live alone, you can cancel it online. You will need your council tax account number, the name(s) of the other resident(s) and the dates they moved in.

If you've received a single person discount review form and have not yet responded, you can confirm your current details by completing the single person occupancy declaration form. You can access this by clicking on the green button below.

Sole adult resident declaration »

To access your form it will be easier if you use your council tax account reference number contained on the review form that was sent to you.

Alternatively, you can complete and sign the form, returning it as an email attachment via email to or via post to:

Shropshire Council, Revenues and Benefits, PO Box 4749, Shrewsbury, SY1 9GH

Second homes

A second home is a furnished property that is no-one’s main residence.

Please be advised that we don't offer any discount for second homes, and they attract full council tax with the following exceptions:

  • Any dwelling which consists of a pitch occupied by a caravan, or a mooring occupied by a boat.
  • Where the property is classed as a job-related dwelling

The job-related protection may only be applied if:

  • Council tax is payable on both dwellings (this could still include armed forces accommodation where the person who resides there would be liable if the property wasn't exempt, and property occupied by ministers of religion).
  • The taxpayer's employer provides the property for the better performance of the employee’s duties, or for security reasons.
  • The taxpayer is a working director of the company providing the job-related dwelling.
  • The taxpayer is required under contract to live in the property.

Unoccupied and unfurnished dwelling

With effect from 1 April 2014 a property that becomes unoccupied and unfurnished will receive a one-month exemption. After that a 25% discount will be awarded for a period of five months. No discount will be awarded after that.

Different charging policies were applied in respect of unoccupied and unfurnished properties prior to 1 April 2014.

With effect from 1 April 2014, where a property has been unoccupied and unfurnished for more than two years, a council tax premium of 50% will be charged. (Effectively this means that properties that have been unoccupied and unfurnished for more than two years will pay 150% council tax).

Under regulations two classes of dwelling are exempt from paying the council tax premium. They are:

  • A dwelling which would otherwise be the sole or main residence of a member of the armed forces, who is absent from the property as a result of such service.
  • A dwelling which forms part of a single property that's being treated by a resident of that property as part of the main dwelling.


Some properties which are occupied by one household might appear to be single properties.  However, they're allocated more than one council tax band. This is because they're made up of more than one self-contained unit, and each self-contained unit must have a separate band. The smaller unit is often referred to as an annex.

With effect from 1 April 2014 a 50% discount can be awarded in respect of annexes where:

  • The annex is occupied by people related to the person liable to pay the council tax on the main dwelling.
  • People who are living in dwellings with annexes which are unoccupied are using the annex as part of their main residence.

Major repairs / structural alterations

From 1 April 2013 there is a discount for properties that are both unoccupied and substantially unfurnished and meet the following criteria:

  1. It requires or is undergoing major repair work to render it habitable, or
  2. It is undergoing structural alterations, or
  3. It has undergone major repair works to render it habitable or structural alteration and less than 6 months have elapsed since the date on which the work was substantially completed and the property has continuously remained unoccupied and unfurnished since that date

Before any discount can be awarded, one of the Council’s visiting officers will need to inspect both inside and outside the property.

Properties that qualify for this discount will receive a 50% discount for a maximum of 12 months. You can apply for this discount by downloading and completing a Class A discount request form.

If you want to apply for this discount for work that was already completed, you will need to support your application with additional evidence such as builders’ schedule of works, surveyors’ reports and invoices for works/repairs carried out showing what has been carried out to make the property habitable again (please note this is not an exhaustive list and is meant is a guide only).