Second adult rebate
- Are you responsible for paying council tax at your home?
- Are you single (divorced, separated, widowed)?
- Do other adults live with you?
If the answer to all of the above questions is yes, you may qualify for second adult rebate. This is a rebate that only takes account of the income received by other people in your property. You can claim it even if you do not think you would get benefit based on your own income.
Please note that if you have a partner, you cannot claim second adult rebate (unless your partner is disregarded for council tax purposes). Examples of disregarded persons are:
- apprentices/youth trainees
- people for whom child benefit is still being paid
- people who suffer from severe mental impairment
- students or student nurses
(Please note that the maximum award of second adult rebate is 25% of your council tax charge.)
For information on how to claim second adult rebate, follow the link on this page called "How to make a claim", or contact the Benefits Service.
To see if you qualify, please refer to the second adult rebate rates documents contained on this page