Children's mental health and wellbeing
The Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin Transformation Plan for Children’s Mental Health and Wellbeing 2015-2020 sets out how we plan to transform mental health services for children and young people in line with the requirements set out in the NHS England document ‘Future in Mind’.
The plan includes six programmes of transformation:
- Development of integrated 0-25 years Emotional Health and Wellbeing Service (to replace existing child and adolescent mental health services)
- Improved neurodevelopmental assessment pathways
- Training and development programme for workers in universal services to improve their knowledge and skills around emotional health and wellbeing of children and young people
- Development of specialist eating disorder service for children and young people
- Development of all-age psychiatric liaison service
- Improved mental health support for pregnant women, new mothers and their families
A summary of the six programmes of transformation is available on the Shropshire Together website.
New access arrangements for the 0-25 Emotional Health and Wellbeing Service
New access arrangements for the 0-25 service will be commencing on Monday 4 December 2017. The new access team will available between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday to receive referrals for young people. Referrals can be received electronically by secure email to 025SPA@sssft.nhs.uk or by phoning 0300 124 0093.
Who can you refer into the service?
All young people under 18 can be referred to the service, but only new referrals for care leavers can be accepted past their 18th birthday. The service will, however, be able to signpost and support young people to access other services which are available up to the age of 25, such as Kooth and The Children’s Society. The team can also be contacted for advice for young people who are 18 and over.
What are the out of hours arrangements?
The existing arrangements remain for out of hours support through the on-call psychiatrists. As you can appreciate, embedding new systems and processes is challenging, so please bear with the team whilst we establish this new service. Also on 4 December the whole service will be moving to an electronic patient record, which may initially slow down the rate we can process referrals as staff get up to speed with the new system.
The new team will be located in Redwoods Centre in Shrewsbury, with the new arrangements applying to all referrals across Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin.
Thank you in advance for your care, patience and understanding as we implement these vital changes to improve the quality of care we provide.