Grant of nearly £43,000 awarded to Shifnal
Shifnal Town Council has received a major boost after being awarded nearly £43,000 under Shropshire Council’s Market Towns Revitalisation Programme (MTRP).
The project has been developed to capitalise and expand on the existing successful Farmers Market. The proposed development was in line with Shifnal Town Council’s vision of projecting Shifnal as an 'events town', and will help to revitalise the area as a thriving market town.
The grant has contributed towards the installation of street-level electricity in Bradford Street and Cheapside, and has also helped towards the purchase of 20 events canopies with roofs, sides, gutters and lights, and the acquisition of 88 tables. The equipment will enable the Town Council to increase the number and type of events being facilitated in the town, including flea markets, car boot sales, antiques markets etc.
They have also been able to purchase a trailer suitable for the transportation of the equipment for use around the county, and 15 stand-alone road signs to be used as directional and promotional signage for the markets. The idea is that the equipment will be used locally, as often as possible, but will also be available to be hired out for use elsewhere in the county, bringing in revenue which would help to pay for suitable storage and future maintenance costs.
For more information, please follow the link on this page.
Aims of this project
- Enable the Town Council to work in partnership with the Farmers' Market
- Increase footfall in the town, and over time create niche activity with, for example, a regular antique fair or craft market
- Facilitate the formulation of a Shifnal Calendar showing all activity throughout the year
- Enhance community facilities and ensure that Shifnal is seen as a venue of choice for town centre events and activities
- Shifnal already has a good range of retail outlets. The provision of street-level electricity opens up the streets of Shifnal for creative/cultural and event use, and ensures that market stall holders have access to essential services
- With more activity and events in the town centre the knock-on effect will be an increase in footfall, which means that the businesses in Shifnal will benefit as a direct result – over time this could result in more employment opportunities. It will also make Shifnal a more attractive place to start or relocate a business.
- The activity will build/strengthen relationships between community groups and Shifnal Town Council.
- Improve the quality of the environment by making Shifnal a destination of choice for event organisers.
The idea for this proposal was developed by Shifnal people via a range of avenues, including the work of the local Town Plan Steering Group.
The £500,000 Market Towns Capital Initiative Fund is part of Shropshire Council’s MTRP, which aims to regenerate and renew the economy, environment and social vitality of the county’s towns.
Please contact Councillors Gordon Tonkinson or Stuart West, or Community Action Officer Andrea McWilliams, firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.