If an emergency requires you to leave your home and it's safe to do so, turn off your gas, electricity and water and grab your emergency box.
If the situation requires it, we may provide shelter on a temporary basis in the form of an emergency rest centre for those who have nowhere else to go.
On arrival at the centre you'll be asked to register. This will involve giving some information such as your name and contact details. This will help staff cater for your needs, and also help members of your family find each other. It may take a while to get the information required from a large group of people, but it's very important that everyone is registered.
The centre is likely to be a public building. Every effort will have been made to ensure that this accommodation is comfortable, but it will be communal and may be crowded. You should consider:
- whether any relatives or friends could accommodate you
- whether your home insurance covers temporary accommodation
What about my pets?
For many of us our pet is an important member of our household. In an emergency we encourage people to give thought to what their pet might need, particularly if you're having to evacuate your home.
Arrangements can be made for small domestic pets but larger or exotic pets may need to have special arrangements in place before hand.
If you're asked to evacuate
- check on neighbours - do they know?
- respond to instructions from the emergency services
- report to the specified location and await further guidance
- use the checklist on this page
Special arrangements will be made for the care of the sick and the elderly.
- gather family, family emergency pack and pets together
- turn off gas, water, electricity and all household appliances
- if you have time, make sure open fires are put out, or at least guarded
- get together warm clothing and sleeping bags, blankets or duvets
- get together medicines in use and special foods for babies - don't forget food for pets
- secure and lock your property
- don't return home until you are told it's safe to do so
- on your return, don't use gas or other appliances unless you know it's safe to do so