You may already have the beginnings of an emergency box somewhere at home, containing a first aid kit or torch.
The box should be small enough to carry and be stored in a secure place that everyone in your family can find. The box should be maintained and checked regularly.
Why do I need an emergency box?
An emergency box holds vital personal information and items that might be useful in an emergency. It should be stored somewhere easy to access in an emergency and be portable so that you can take it with you if you need to evacuate your home.
What should be in the emergency box?
- details of any prescription medicines for family members
- telephone numbers
- insurance details and reference numbers
- an extra set of contact lens or glasses
- small first aid kit
- battery powered radio, torch and extra spare batteries
- notebook and pen/ pencil
- mobile phone charger
- bottled water
- pet vaccination certificate