Health and support needs
There are various services across Shropshire to support vulnerable people of all ages:
Young people's services
Young people can access supported housing in the market towns of Oswestry and Ludlow.
For further information on this, and related support, please contact:
Find out more from our disability services pages.
Tenancy / housing floating support
The SUSTAIN Consortium provides housing support to people all over Shropshire as part of a programme funded by us.
Housing support services aim to help vulnerable people to develop the skills and experience to be able to maintain their own accommodation and live independently in the community. Support services are given through individual and group support aimed to help people to develop their own networks and friendships. Group activities and training are also hosted in local areas, covering a wide range of topics with the aim of increasing personal skills.
Bromford Housing also offer a floating support service that is personalised to meet the needs of people with mental health problems. The service aims to empower adults to live independently and make their own lifestyle choices.
Please use the information provided on our mental health service pages.
The Shropshire Recovery Partnership (01743 258800) gives advice and assistance on all substance misuse issues.
Every day people in the UK go hungry for reasons ranging from redundancy to receiving an unexpected bill on a low income. Food banks provide a minimum of three days’ emergency food and support to people experiencing crisis in the UK.
In 2013-14 food banks fed 913,138 people nationwide. Of those helped, 330,205 were children.
Rising food and fuel prices, static incomes, underemployment and changes to benefits are some of the reasons why increasing numbers are being referred to food banks for emergency food.
The following food banks operate across Shropshire:
- Barnabas Church Centre, Longden Road, Shrewsbury, SY3 7DN
- The Trussell Trust Food Bank, Church Street, Market Drayton, TF9 1AF
- Oswestry and Borders Food Bank, 56 Beatrice Street, Oswestry, SY11 1QW
- Hope Church, Grafton Mews, Harlescott Grange, Shrewsbury, SY1 3PU
- The Trussell Trust, Bargates Hall, Church Street, Whitchurch, SY13 1LR
- Baptist Church, Rockspring Centre, Sandford Road, Ludlow, SY8 1SX
- St Andrews Community Church, Market Street, Craven Arms, SY7 9NW
- Strettons Food Bank, St Lawrence’s, Church Street, Church Stretton,SY6 6DQ
ShropDoc provides urgent medical services for patients when their own surgery is closed, and whose needs cannot safely wait until the surgery is next open. ShropDoc can be contacted on 08444 068888.