Section 14 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 allows for the temporary closure of a public right of way on the grounds of public safety to enable the applicant to carry out works. Following application, an order is made and advertised to close a route for a specified period, initially for up to six months (although this may be extended). Where possible an alternative route is identified for users and described in the notice erected at either end of the closed route.
The following is a list of current temporary closures:
- FPs 23A/24A (parts) Chelmarsh at The Astbury Golf course from GR SO 7243 8849 running generally north easterly then easterly through The golf course to meet the B4555 at GR SO 7294 8875; and approximately 270 metres of FP 23A from GR SO 7276 8865 where it leaves the B4555 running generally north westerly through the golf course passing Crateford Barns to GR SO 7264 8886 where it joins the golf course access road, from 1st April 2016 for six months during construction works within the golf resort (refer to planning permissions 14/00794, 14/03609 and 14/04010 for details of the works). Alternative routes are available for FP 24A/23A by following the site boundary parallel to the B4555 and to the south of the definitive line between GR SO 7243 8849 and GR SO 7294 8875; and for FP 23A by following the access route off the B4555 at the main entrance to the resort at GR SO 7295 8865 generally NNW to meet the remainder of FP 23A. Please note that the closure will require an extension after the initial six months period for an additional 18 months.
- FP 41 (pt) Wistanstow, the level crossing which carries Footpath 41, (approximately 10 metres) crossing the railway from grid reference
SO4383 8638 to grid reference SO4385 8639 will be prohibited with effect from 10th March 2017 for six months on the grounds of public safety and to allow the re-siting and re-positioning of whistle boards to make the crossing safe. There is no alternative route in the immediate vicinity.
- Footpath 1 (part), Parish of Clive, the level crossing which carries Footpath 1, (approximately 10 metres) crossing the railway at GR SJ 50202482 (known as Dickenson’s Farm) with effect from 23rd March 2017 for six months because of the likelihood of danger to the public in lieu of work to install sufficient mitigation at this location. There an alternative parallel footpath approximately 350 metres to the north accessed via a road bridge over the railway.
- Non-definitive Footpath, Llanymynech Heritage site - running under one arch of the bridge under the A483 at Llanymynech Heritage Site from Grid Reference SJ 2673 2147 to Grid Reference SJ 2675 2145 from 4th August 2017 to 1st September 2017 in the interest of public safety during works to the bridge that require scaffolding to be erected
- BOAT 29 Alveley that part of BOAT 29 at Turley Green, Alveley from Grid Reference SO 76408580 running for approximately 510 metres between Gortens Dingle and a lake generally westerly then southerly between fields to SO 76118552 where it joins the County Road will be prohibited with immediate effect (1st August 2017) on the grounds of public safety as the surface of the BOAT is out of repair and dangerous.
For further information please contact the Rights of Way Mapping and Enforcement Team or Customer Service Centre on 0345 678 9006.