How to home compost
To make good compost, you need to get the right mix of materials:
- 'Green' organic waste
- 'Brown' organic waste
By mixing them together in a home compost bin they rot down naturally to make compost. The key thing is to add a 50:50 mix of nitrogen-rich (green) waste and carbon-based (brown) waste.
|'Green' waste||'Brown' waste|
- To help you get started take a look at our 'get composting' website where you can buy discounted compost bins.
- Place your compost bin on bare ground to allow worms and other creatures in (they help break down the waste).
- Find a sunny spot as this will help speed up the composting process.
- Ensure a good circulation of air in the compost bin, by layering twigs at the bottom of your compost bin.
- Allow the waste to rot down for about nine months until it looks like dark crumbly soil.