Early years and primary road safety education resources
As traffic collisions are the largest single cause of death and injury to children, road awareness needs to be developed from an early age and continued throughout life.
For more information on road safety in education please visit:
- Think! Education website, where you can find advice and resources for parents, pupils and teachers.
- The Tales of the Road – highway code for young road users is a particularly useful guide covering pedestrian, cycle and in car and bus safety.
Nurseries and playgroups
Road safety can be incorporated easily and successfully into the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS). Themes such as 'people who help us' and 'journeys' lend themselves naturally to the 'Keeping Safe' theme.
To help with ideas for sessions and sources of suitable resources and worksheets including web links please download:
- Teaching Road Safety – Early Years
- Out of school settings – Uniformed Groups
Beavers, Cubs, Rainbows and Brownies
For leaders of Beavers, Cubs, Rainbows and Brownies looking for resources and ideas for sessions linked to relevant badges please download:
- Beavers and Cubs Road Safety Resources
- Rainbows and Brownies Road Safety Resources