Shropshire Council website

This is the website of Shropshire Council

Contact information



0345 678 9000

Postal Address

Shropshire Council
Abbey Foregate

Top tasks



Changing your child's school

From September 2013 the regulations changed for mid-term or “in-year” applications and local authorities no longer have to co-ordinate applications.

To change your child’s school to a Shropshire school you should complete the midterm/in year application form and send it to your preferred school.

There are guidance notes to help completing the form.

If the school is not in Shropshire, contact the relevant local authority to see how you should apply to their schools. You will find contact details on the website.

The decision to move your child from one school to another should never be taken lightly. A settled placement throughout both primary and secondary school is important. If your child is having difficulties, or you are considering a transfer for other reasons, please discuss issues with your child's headteacher before making a decision.

Moves in Year 10 or 11 cause particular difficulties as it is unlikely that your child's chosen GCSE course can be matched at a different school.

There are a number of circumstances which the local authority may define a pupil as being “hard to place”. In such circumstances The Department for Education (DfE) requires that all local authorities have a Fair Access Protocol. This protocol has been consulted on with headteachers.

Please refer to the transfers and mid-term applications pages in the general information section of the Parents' Guide to Education in Shropshire for more detailed information on changing your child’s school.

If you apply for a school place and are advised that there is no place available, you are entitled to appeal against allocation of a school place to an independent appeals panel.


School Admissions Team
0345 678 9008
Last updated: 30 August 2017 Print this page

Back to top