Armed Forces Covenant
The Armed Forces Covenant is the nation’s commitment to those who proudly protect our nation, doing so with honour, courage, and commitment. It's a pledge that together we acknowledge and understand that those who serve, or who have served, in the armed forces, and their families, should be treated with fairness and respect in the communities, economy and society they serve with their lives.
Under our own commitment to our armed forces, Shropshire Council will:
- Instigate policy changes that look to remove disadvantages faced by the armed forces community
- Ensure families with armed forces connections are supported to the upmost of our ability when accessing public services from the council and our partners
- Coordinate and support Armed Forces Day in Shropshire whilst offering a variety of discounts every year at our leisure, golf and swimming complexes
- Coordinate events such as the Shrewsbury Town FC Armed Forces Match Day, giving civilians and our local armed forces personnel the chance to meet and integrate
- Promote the virtues of the covenant and highlight how businesses can work with the armed forces to support the armed forces community
- Actively challenge other partners, locally and nationally, who are not seen to uphold covenant values
Under its commitment to our armed forces, Shropshire Council cannot:
- Provide an advantage to any member of the armed forces community over the civilian community
- Guarantee social housing for transitioning personnel and veterans
If you feel you've been treated unfairly when accessing public services, please contact SAFC@Shropshire.gov.uk, and an advisor will discuss your options with you.
Funding for community activities
The Covenant Fund is a £10 million grant given by the government to projects that will benefit the armed forces and the community generally. Projects range from building new nurseries in civilian areas where many armed forces families live, to funding military themed activities that increase understanding between military and civilian communities in the same area. To see whether you could get covenant funding for a project, take a look at the Armed Forces Covenant website.
If you're interested either in applying for funding for a local project, or would like further information on current and previous projects, please email SAFCC@Shropshire.gov.uk