Shropshire Council

Help with housing

Forces Help to Buy Scheme

Regular armed forces personnel can benefit from a £200 million scheme to help them get on the property ladder. The Forces Help to Buy scheme enables servicemen and servicewomen to borrow up to 50% of their salary, interest free, to buy their first home or move to another property on assignment, or as their families needs change. The pilot scheme, which launched in April 2014 and has now been extended to 2018, aims to address the low rate of home ownership in the armed forces.

Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO)

The JSHAO is the MOD’s tri-service focal point to provide service personnel and their dependants with civilian housing information for those wishing to move to civilian accommodation at any time in their career, and for those during resettlement to assist with the transition to civilian life.

Private renting

If you're looking to settle locally having transitioned out of HM Armed Forces, you may decide on private renting, either through a letting agency or directly with a landlord. Additional support could be provided by Shrewsbury Homes for all, which works closely with the private renting sector. Find out more from our private rented sector housing pages.

Social housing

If you're a current member of HM Armed Forces transitioning out of the military, you may wish to apply for social housing, in which case the earlier you apply the better. Speak to your local welfare officer or HIVE about this.

We target up to 5% of social housing properties in the county towards former members of the British Armed Forces each year. This applies to people who:

  • Have made an application within five years of discharge
  • Have a ‘local connection to Shropshire’
  • Have served a minimum of four years with the British Armed Forces
  • Are going to be discharged within six months, or have already been discharged

Under these circumstances, we'll award a ‘gold band’, ensuring current and ex-HM Armed Forces personnel are supported in applying for a house. Those currently based in the county will be automatically considered to have a ‘local connection’. Confirmation of discharge papers and / or employment will be required. If you've been dishonourably discharged, Shropshire Council consider individual applications based upon the circumstances and reasons for the discharge.

For more information, take a look at our Housing section.