Shropshire Council

Single Persons Discount Review

As guardians of public money Shropshire Council has a responsibility to ensure that all council tax discounts are awarded correctly and reflect changing circumstances in a timely manner. To meet this requirement, we review discounts annually and have matched our records with information collected as part of the National Fraud Initiative.

The National Fraud Initiative is an exercise that matches electronic data within and between public and private sector bodies to prevent and detect fraud. Where a match is found it may indicate that there is an inconsistency that requires further investigation. This could be as a result of error, administrative process, timing, or an indicator of fraud. As a participant of the exercise Shropshire Council receives a report of matches to investigate, take remedial action as required and update records.

To learn more about the data matching exercise that we have carried out please visit:

As a result of this review, Shropshire Council has sent letters to residents in receipt of 25% council tax sole adult occupier discount. This is to invite residents to either advise the council that something in their circumstances has changes, or alternatively confirm that they are still entitled to the 25% discount.

Frequently asked questions

Why have I received this letter?

We're reviewing the circumstances of people who are claiming a single persons discount. We require you to notify us of your current circumstances relating to this

What happens if I don’t respond to the review letter in time?

If we don’t receive a response your discount can be revoked and a revised Council Tax bill could be issued to you. As long as you complete your declaration in time your single person discount will remain in place (unless the circumstances you provide on the form mean you are no longer entitled to it).

I've already informed you of a change in circumstances. Do I need to complete the form?

Yes, please include all the details of your current situation.

I receive mail for previous occupants, what should I do about this?

You need to write on the envelope that the person no longer lives at the address and return it to the sender.