Wayfarers, Market Drayton
Wayfarers day centre is a day service provided by Shropshire council for adults with learning disabilities. Based in Market Drayton, approximately 20 people access our service on daily basis and take part in a range of meaningful activities, aiming to maximise independence and offer choice.
Wayfarers is able to offer a range of experiences in a range of areas including:
- We currently run a coffee shop 3 days a week, which provides opportunities for our service users to gain valuable employment and lifestyle skills including food hygiene training.
- Our Makaton Group “makachat” currently runs weekly and works on effective communication skills whilst having fun at the same time.
- Wayfarers has recently set up a Boccia group, this has been very successful and we are hoping to enter competitions in the near future. We also do curling.
- Drama group is held at Wayfarers on a Friday, our service users take part in this weekly and work really hard to put on a great show!
- Library group – visiting the local library, borrowing books, and enjoying a reading circle. Also includes Life Skills – handling money.
- Shop and cook – service users have the choice to decide what meal they would like to prepare, with support service users are then able to develop their skills in preparing the meals from scratch, developing skills to work towards independence.
- Walking group - enjoying local walks around Market Drayton, keeping fit and healthy.
- Swimming - weekly swimming sessions at the local swimming baths.
- Independent living skills- staff are able to focus on individual skills working towards independence such as finance, cooking, personal hygiene.
- Gardening – there is a small garden to enjoy, gardening groups take place in the summer months, where service users are encourages to maintain the garden and also grow some vegetables for their own enjoyment.
- Multi-sensory area – individuals can enjoy relaxed multi-sensory sessions.
- Arts and crafts – seasonal crafts are made and enjoyed and artwork displayed
- Community access – groups are supported to access the local community, visit shops, cafes, restaurants
- Gym – supporting a group to be active and live healthy lifestyles.
- Computer - learning keyboard skills etc
This is a small selection of what we offer at Wayfarers, we aim to give our service users as much choice as possible and can be flexible with what we can offer.
As well as the regular activities we do offer trips out and celebrate special occasions which is always a great success! Service users have the choice in what/when these are.
Fundraising events take place all year round, these have included a virtual row of the River Severn and festive fairs.