Shropshire Council

After a flood: support for homes and businesses affected by flooding

For more information about what to do after a flood, and the support available, please select the headings:

Personal flood plan

Financial support

On 18 February 2020, Central Government announced that they will provide financial support to those affected by flooding in Shropshire from storms Dennis and Ciara.

If your home or business has been damaged by recent flooding, there may be financial assistance available to you. The first stage is to report that you have been affected by calling 0345 678 9006. We recommend that you keep evidence of damage caused by the floods that could support your claim application. Please photograph all damage to buildings and contents before making any repairs or disposing of furniture.

Support could include:

  • A hardship payment of up to £500 to help with immediate recovery. This grant is for residential properties and will be paid directly to the household. To be eligible for this support, the living area of a property must be flooded, making it uninhabitable for any period of time.
  • Council tax and business rates relief. For significantly affected homes and businesses, 100% council tax and business rate relief may be applied for a period of three months.
  • Up to £2,500 Business Recovery Grant or business rates relief for small/medium sized business affected, as a grant paid direct to the business. Businesses are eligible where they have suffered a direct loss of trade as a result of the flooding that cannot be recovered from insurance.
  • A resilience grant of up to £5000 to help protect homes and businesses from future flooding. Shropshire Council are working with central government to confirm full eligibility criteria for this grant. Further details will follow in due course.
  • Financial support leaflet for those affected by the floods - council officers have been visiting residents and business across the county whose properties have been affected by the floods to offer support and advice, and providing leaflets of what financial support is on offer. If you have been affected, you can download the finance support leaflet by following this link.

Emotional support

Having a flooded home or business is very stressful. If you need emotional support, contact family and friends, your doctor or an organisation like the Red Cross or the Samaritans.

Public Health England also offers a guide to mental wellbeing after a flood.

Our 'Your health and flooding' page offers further advice and contact information.


Flood Re is a joint initiative between the Government and insurers. Its aim is to make the flood cover part of household insurance policies more affordable. You can read about How Flood Re works (pdf). It is important that people living or operating a business in high flood-risk areas in Shropshire shop around for the best insurance policy. For more information visit the Flood Re website.

A loss adjuster is someone who is employed by an insurance company to decide how much money should be paid to a person making a claim.

A loss assessor is someone appointed by a policy holder to manage a claim on their behalf.

Advice from the Association of British Insurers (ABI) about flooding resilience and on working through the insurance system after a flood:

Clean up

If your home or property has been flooded it could be contaminated by oil, silt and sewage. This will need to be carefully and completely cleaned up to remove any health risk.
Contact your GP immediately if you think your health has been affected.

If you are concerned about contaminated water or sewage in floodwater:

If you think an elderly relative or neighbour has been affected by flooding get in touch with our Adult Social Care first point of contact team on 0345 678 9044.

If a road has been affected, you can report damaged roads and pavements after flooding.

The Environment Agency has information about cleaning your house as well as details of organisations that can help you do this. National Health England also has a useful leaflet on how to clean up after a flood (PDF). Unless they are contaminated, you can dispose of most water-damaged items at one of our household recycling centres. Ask the staff there if you need any help.

If you are worried about the security of your property contact West Mercia Police.