Shropshire Council


Frequently asked questions

I am being disturbed by noise from a licensed premises e.g a pub or club. What can I do?

Premises used for public entertainment, such as a pub or club, may require a licence from the council. If you are being disturbed by noise from a licensed premises you can report it to us. You will have to provide your name and address and as much information as you can about the noise e.g the type and time. You may also be asked to complete diary sheets to record the type of noise and how often it is happening.

My neighbour has a barking dog. What can I do?

Dogs often bark as a result of boredom and/or loneliness, and the dog may be suffering from both. If it's barking when the owners are out, they may not be aware of the problem. You should try speaking to them to see if you can resolve the matter informally - see our information on noise and have a look at the advice provided in the related information section

My dog barks a lot. What can I do?

You may be on the other side of the fence and have received a complaint about noise disturbance caused by your dog’s barking. If this is the case, then please have a look at our noise section and the advice given in the related information. If you need further assistance please contact us to discuss the matter.

How do I deal with noise from aircraft?

Shropshire Council are not the enforcing authority for complaints regarding aircraft noise.

For more information or to make a complaint about domestic aircraft noise, please contact the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) on 020 7379 7311, or via their website.

If you wish to make a complaint, or speak to somebody regarding noise from RAF aircraft, please contact the RAF on either 01939 250351 (and ask for extension 7572) for day flying or 01939 250351 (and ask for extension 7232) for night flying. Alternatively visit RAF Shawbury’s website for more information.

What can I do about a burglar alarm constantly going off in my street?

All alarms should be fitted with a 20 minute cut-out device, if the alarm sounds for longer than this it may be faulty.

If an alarm has been sounding for some time, say overnight, and there is no one present to shut off the device, you can contact Public Protection. We may  attend the area to witness the alarm sounding and will attempt to contact the person responsible for the alarm.

If the noise is deemed to be a statutory nuisance, a notice will be served on the person responsible for the alarm. The council may then apply to the magistrates court to obtain a warrant to gain entry into the property in order to disable the alarm. The property will be left properly secured. Any costs incurred (i.e locksmith charges etc.) will be recharged to the owner or occupier.

What can I do about a car alarm constantly going off?

Car alarms should cut out after five minutes. If an alarm has been sounding for a lot longer than this and there is no one present you can approach to request the device is shut-off, you can contact Public Protection. We will need to know the make, model, colour and location of the vehicle and its registration number.

My neighbour disturbs me with noise from their property - what can I do?

In many cases the person making the noise is unaware they are causing a problem, and the issue can be resolved quite simply. Where possible we ask you to attempt to resolve the problem yourself by talking to your neighbour before contacting us - see our advice on noise for more information

What can I do about noise in the street?

If this is caused by people or children shouting or playing, it may be antisocial behaviour - see our advice on reporting antisocial behaviour

Public Protection can deal with certain noise in the street, such as noise from machinery and equipment, but not noise from moving traffic. See our noise guide for more information.

Can I involve the police if I have noisy neighbours?

No – unless there is violence or threatening behaviour.

We often work with the police to deal with neighbourhood issues, and if a noise is causing you to be concerned about the safety of someone in a property, then you should alert the police.

Within which hours can building work take place?

Normally we ask for large scale building work which is likely to be noisy to be restricted to 7.30am - 6pm Monday to Friday, and 8am - 1pm on a Saturday, with no noisy building work taking place on Sundays or bank holidays.


My road's being dug up, making noise early in the morning. When is work like this allowed?

There are no set times before which work such as this is prohibited unless it's already been covered by a formal notice imposed by us. Utility companies often agree times of work with us beforehand (especially if they are working overnight) but smaller contractors sometimes don’t. If you can identify who the contractor is, we may be able to request that they work with us to protect residents' amenity, and we hope that this will lead to the time of future works being agreed.

Contractors have no legal obligation to contact us regarding likely noise before starting work. Noise in the street from vehicles, machinery or equipment (but not moving traffic) may constitute a statutory nuisance. If you are able to please speak to the builder, or the person who owns the property being worked on, first about the issue before contacting us.

What can be done about repair work taking place on a railway line?

For safety reasons work can often only be carried out when the power is turned off, which happens for a few hours during the night. If you are able to please speak to the contractor first about the issue before contacting us.


When am I allowed to use fireworks?

It's illegal to set off fireworks between 11pm and 7am, with exemptions as follows:

  • Until midnight on 5 November, and
  • Until 1am on New Year's Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year.