Shropshire Council

New hackney carriage and private hire drivers’ licence

Any person who wishes to drive a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle will be required to hold a valid hackney carriage or private hire driver's licence (joint driver's licence).

Shropshire Council will issue a joint driver's licence to successful applicants which will permit the driving of both hackney carriage and private hire vehicles.

You will also require a licence for the vehicle being driven and, depending on the nature of your business, you may also require a private hire operator's licence.

Applicants from outside the Shropshire area

We can accept applications for drivers' licences from any area. However, before a person applies they need to consider where they will be primarily working.

If it's the intention to apply for a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle licence, once a driver’s badge has been granted, our vehicle application form asks the following question:

“If you intend to use your vehicle outside the administrative area of Shropshire Council, indicate the area you will primarily work and the approximate amount of time spent working there.”

Where a person indicates that a vehicle will be used in an area some distance away from Shropshire, the application will be considered but it may be that the licence won't be granted because of that distance.

Please consider the possibility of not being able to licence your vehicle before going to the expense of getting a Shropshire joint driver's badge, as no refunds can be given after a licence has been granted.

In order for your application to be accepted you must ensure that you send ALL of the information listed under 'What will I need before I apply?'. If any part of the application is incomplete, or the fee not paid, the application will not be processed until such a time as all the information / documentation is provided.

Expired licences

Once a licence has expired it cannot be renewed.  There are no 'days of grace' for licences.  Any renewal applications received after the date of expiry will be processed as a new driver application.  To allow continuous driving an application to renew the licence must be received at least 10 working days prior to its expiry to ensure sufficient time for the application to be processed and for the council to undertake the relevant application checks.

What is it for?

A licence is required before any person can drive a licensed hackney carriage or private hire vehicle. Due to the nature of the trade in Shropshire, we've decided to issue a joint drivers’ licence for hackney carriage and private hire drivers subject to conditions of licence. If you want to renew an existing licence, just follow the link on this page.

How long will it take?

New applicants: we'll aim to complete the application process within six months unless prevented from doing so by matters that are outside the applicant’s control, eg external delays in the DBS process. Renewal applicants: It is our intention to process all valid renewal applications within ten working days providing it is a complete application and received at least ten working days before it expires.

How much will it cost?

There is a fee for issuing this document, which is taken when you apply.

What will I need before I apply?

  • Completed application form
  • Fee or a copy of the receipt if the fee has been paid online. The fee includes £5 for DVLA, £44 for DBS and fees for the driver knowledge test and the driving assessment (please note: if you have registered for the DBS update service and if you provide an acceptable enhanced DBS, in accordance with the requirements in the Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Licensing Policy 2015-2019 (attached to this page), you will need to remove £44 from the application fee).
  • One recent passport sized photograph countersigned in accordance with passport rules (if emailing the application, this must be in colour jpeg format)
  • Completed five year address history form
  • Completed reference form
  • Completed DVLA mandate form
  • If you were not born in the UK and you do not hold a passport issued by the UK/EU/EEA or Switzerland, you must provide evidence of your right to work in the UK in accordance with Home Office requirements

Do I need to do anything else?

It is your responsibility to read the relevant parts of the full Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy 2015 – 2019 (attached to this page) before applying to ensure that you meet the new criteria which came into effect on 1 April 2015. Once your application has been validated and accepted you will receive appointment letters for: a/ Completing a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check (this letter will list the documents you will need to provide at that appointment in order to complete the DBS form), b/ Sitting the Shropshire Council knowledge test, and c/ Undertaking the driving assessment. Before your application can be determined, you will also need to submit a satisfactory medical form completed by your own GP or a doctor who has had full access to your medical records.

Apply now

Download the form, complete it on your home computer, and email it to

Download the form

Download the form, print it out, fill it in and post your application along with the fee if applicable to:

The Licensing Team, Shirehall, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY2 6ND

Download the form