Shropshire Council

New hackney carriage vehicle licence

A hackney carriage is more commonly called a ‘taxi’.  Hackney carriages are licensed to stand for hire at a taxi tank or can be hailed in the street within the zone that it is licensed for.  Within the administrative area of Shropshire Council there are five zones (see Zones Map attached to this page).  Hackney carriages may also undertake pre-booked journeys.  A hackney carriage does not have to work through a licensed private hire operator.

All Shropshire Council licensed hackney carriage vehicles will be fitted with a meter.  This meter must have been calibrated to the Shropshire Council table of fares.  A copy of the table of fares must be displayed within the vehicle.  A copy of the current table of fares is available to download under Related Documents.  If you are downloading this table of fares to display in a licensed vehicle you must take appropriate steps to ensure the card is sufficiently robust to withstand wear and tear and to reduce the risk of it becoming defaced and/or illegible.

When considering whether to licence a vehicle under a hackney carriage licence you need to have regards to the nature of work that is to be undertaken.  Shropshire Council has an Intended Use and Licensing of Hackney Carriages Policy which is available to view in the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy 2015-2016, attached to this page.

Applicants from ouside the Shropshire area

Before a person applies for a hackney carriage vehicle licence they need to consider where they will be primarily working.  Our vehicle application form asks the following question:

“If you intend to use your vehicle outside the administrative area of Shropshire Council, indicate the area you will primarily work and the approximate amount of time spent working there.”

Where a person indicates that a vehicle will be used in an area some distance away from Shropshire, the application will be considered but it may be that the licence won't be granted because of that distance.

Please consider the possibility of not being able to licence your vehicle before going to the expense of getting a Shropshire joint drivers’ badge, as no refunds can be given after a licence has been granted.

If you wish to renew or transfer an existing private hire vehicle licence, please use the links under Related Information and Related Documents on this page.

In order for your application to be accepted you must ensure that you send ALL of the information listed under 'What will I need before I apply?'.  If any part of the application is incomplete, or the fee not paid, the application will not be processed until such a time as all the information / documentation is provided

Expired licences

Once a licence has expired it cannot be renewed.  There are no 'days of grace' for licences.  Any renewal applications received after the date of expiry will be processed as a new vehicle application.  To allow continuous driving an application to renew the licence must be received at least 10 working days prior to its expiry to ensure sufficient time for the application to be processed and for the council to undertake the relevant checks.

Once the licence has expired you will not be permitted to use your vehicle as a hackney carriage until such a time as the new licence and plates are in your possession and the plates displayed on the vehicle in accordance with the conditions of licence.

Emissions policy

From the 1 April 2015 the vehicle must have the following:

  • Must be categorised as Euro 5 emissions (This can be found on page 2 of your V5 log book).
  • Must also be NCAPP 5 (Check this on the NCAPP website, European New Car assessment programme)

Am I eligible to apply for a new hackney carriage vehicle licence?

The applicant for a vehicle licence must be the person who is the legal owner of the vehicle concerned and entitled to have the ownership of the vehicle registered under the provisions of Regulation 10 of the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002 in their own name.  Prior to licensing and thereafter, as required, satisfactory evidence must be produced to demonstrate compliance with this requirement.

In addition to this the vehicle must meet the criteria laid out in the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy 2015-2019, attached to this page.  It is your responsibility to read the relevant parts of the full Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy 2015 – 2019 before applying for a licence.  If applying for a hackney carriage vehicle licence for Zone 4 - Shrewsbury the vehicle must be wheelchair accessible at all times.   Additional information may also be found on the Private Hire or Hackney Carriage? page.

What will I need before I apply?

  • Completed application form (the application must be made by the person who is the legal owner of the vehicle)
  • Fee or copy of receipt if paid online
  • Copy of new MOT issued within the previous 10 working days
  • Copy of a valid certificate of insurance for public hire, including proof of public liability insurance for a minimum of £5,000,000
  • Copy of the full V5 Registration Certificate for the vehicle
  • Valid certificate/report (issued with the previous 10 working days) to confirm that the taximeter has been calibrated and meets the requirements set out in the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy 2015 – 2019
  • Proof of compliance with required NCAP rating (see Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy 2015 – 2019, attached to this page, for details)
  • Proof of compliance with required Euro Emission Standards (see Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy 2015 – 2019, attached to this page, for details)
  • Proof of car tax
  • Where the vehicle is fitted with a mechanically operated ramp, a valid certificate/report confirming the ramp complies with Lifting Operations and Lifting Regulations 1998
  • Where non-mechanical ramps are used, confirmation that the ramps comply with the relevant provisions of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998
  • Where fittings are used to secure wheelchairs to the floor of a vehicle, a valid certificate/report confirming that the fittings meet the required specifications.

Do I need to do anything else?

Once your application has been validated and determined a member of the Licensing Team will contact you to arrange an appointment to have your vehicle inspected by licensing officers at which point, providing the inspection is satisfactory, the hackney carriage vehicle licence will be issued.

At the inspection appointment you will need:

  • To show a full size spare wheel or space saver design wheel and tools to change the wheel OR emergency puncture repair kit OR a contract with an organisation such as the AA or Green Flag
  • No Smoking Signs on display in the vehicle
  • A sign confirming the vehicle is wheelchair accessible, if applicable
  • To wear your driver badge ensuring that the licence details and photo are visible

What is it for?

To allow a vehicle, with up to 8 passenger seats, to be used to ply for hire within the zone that it is licensed for.

Who needs one?

Any person who wishes to use a vehicle as a hackney carriage.

How much will it cost?

There is a fee for issuing this document, which is taken when you apply.

Apply now

Download the form, complete it on your home computer, and email it to

Download the form

Download the form, print it out, fill it in and post your application along with the fee if applicable to:

The Licensing Team, Shirehall, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY2 6ND

Download the form