Shropshire Council

New premises licence

Businesses, organisations and individuals who want to sell or supply alcohol in England and Wales must have a licence or other authorisation from us. The law and policy governing this area is overseen by the Home Office. There may be other conditions added to your licence, eg having an age-checking policy if you sell alcohol.

Applicants for premises licences/variations to a premises licence must ensure that the correct planning permission is in place for their proposed use of the premises. The granting of a premises licence authorises the use of the premises for licensable activities, it does not replace or remove the requirement to have the correct planning permission in place.

Where a premises is to be used for marriage ceremonies, the applicant must also ensure that they have applied for and obtained approval of the premises as a venue for civil marriage and civil partnership ceremonies from the Shropshire Registration Service.

Am I eligible to apply for a new premises licence?

You must be 18 or over to apply for a premises licence.

Who needs one?

The types of businesses and organisations that need alcohol licences might include: pubs and bars, cinemas, theatres, nightclubs, late-opening cafes, takeaways, village and community halls and supermarkets. If you carry out any licensable activities at your premises without a premises licence, you can be fined £20,000, sent to prison for up to six months, or both. You can be fined up to £1,000 for failing to produce your licence on request. You don’t need a licence for some types of entertainment, including: educational or promotional films, films shown as part of an exhibition in a museum or gallery, incidental music (live or recorded).

How long will it take?

Please allow at least two months for the application to be processed and determined.

How much will it cost?

There is a fee for issuing this document, which is taken when you apply.

What will I need before I apply?

  • Fee
  • Details of the DPS
  • Consent form from the DPS
  • Public site notice (Please note that the site notice must make it clear that details of the application may be viewed on this website. Representations must be made in writing to: Licensing, Shropshire Council, Shirehall, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY2 6ND or by email to, and can't be made through this website).
  • Plan of the premises
  • Copy of advert placed in local paper (same applies as public site notice above).

Do I need to do anything else?

Copies of your completed application form and accompanying documents need to be sent to all responsible authorities on the same day it is sent to us. When you have your licence, you must display the ‘licence summary’ at your premises where it can be easily seen. The other pages of the licence should be kept safely at the premises. Police or council officers can ask to inspect them at any time.

Apply now

Download the form, complete it on your home computer, and email it to

Download an application form

Download the form, print it out, fill it in and post your application along with the fee if applicable to:

The Licensing Team, Shirehall, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY2 6ND

Download an application form