Temporary closures of public rights of way
Section 14 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 allows for the temporary closure of a Public Right of Way on the grounds of public safety to enable the applicant to carry out works. Following application, an order is made and advertised to close a route for a specified period, initially for up to six months (although this may be extended). Where possible an alternative route is identified for users and described in the notice erected at either end of the closed route.
To make an application for a temporary closure read the guidance note PGN 21 and download the application form - links available to both documents in the related information section on this page.
The following is a list of current temporary closures:
- FP 44 Milson
That part of , Footpath 44, Milson, from GR SO 6252 7368 running generally north easterly from Linley Farm to a bridge over Mill brook which is unsafe for users at GR SO 6305 7397 and then continuing to its junction with Footpath 14 at GR 6320 7406; a distance of approximately 795 metres with immediate effect from 6 March 2018 for six months on the grounds of public safety due to a bridge which is in a dangerous condition and cannot be immediately replaced until drier ground allows access to the site. There is no alternative route in the immediate vicinity
- BW 93/92/91 Whitchurch
Bridleways 93, 92 and 91, Whitchurch from GR SJ 5192 4123 where it leaves Wrexham Road running generally northerly through Hadley Farm to at bridge over a stream which is unsafe for users at GR SJ 5183 4161 and then continuing northerly to across fields to its junction with Bridleways 86 & 87 at GR SJ 5183 4221; a distance of approximately 1,022 metres with immediate effect from 6th March 2018 for six months on the grounds of public safety due to a bridge which is in a dangerous condition and cannot be immediately replaced until drier ground allows access to the site. There is no alternative route in the immediate vicinity. For further information please contact the Rights of Way Mapping and Enforcement Team or Customer Service Centre on 0345 678 9006.
- Footpath 2 Norton in Hales
Footpath 2 from where it leaves Main Road at SJ 7007 3847 running generally north for approximately 140 metres through a housing development site to exit onto Chapel Lane at SJ 7006 3861 will be prohibited with immediate effect (from 4 May 2018) for a period of 6 months on the grounds of public safety whilst building works are completed. An alternative route is available following Main Road and Chapel Lane and vice versa.
- Footpath 13 Bicton
Footpath 13 at the Severn Hospice, Bicton from GR SJ 4582 1380 where the Footpath enters the site running north then easterly for approximately 180 metres to GR SJ 4585 1394 where it continues to the rear of the existing Hospice buildings will be prohibited with immediate effect from 21 May until 1 November 2018 and extended until 20 December 2020 on the grounds of public safety whilst site investigation and building works are undertaken at The Severn Hospice. An alternative route is available between the same grid references running northerly then easterly around an area of vegetation until it meets Clayton Way and proceeds north along Clayton Way for approximately 100 metres until it re-joins the remainder of the footpath and vice versa.
- Footpath 10 Farlow
Footpath 10 in the Parish of Farlow from where it leaves the county road at SO 6399 8134 running generally westerly then southerly for approximately 535 metres to meet the County road at SO 6384 8093 will be prohibited with immediate effect for a period of 6 months from 26th May 2018 on the grounds of public safety due to a dangerous bridge crossing the Farlow Brook at SO 6393 8132. An alternative route is available following the minor road to the east passing Well Farm.
- Footpath 50, Wistanstow where it crosses the railway between Wistanstow and Craven Arms (from GR SO4301 8389 to SO4303 8389) will be prohibited with immediate effect from 20th June 2018 for six months on the grounds of public safety whilst Network Rail investigate alternative arrangements for the footpath crossing of the railway. The closure has been extended until 20 June 2019. The only alternative route available is using the local road network along Long Lane, the footway alongside the A49 and the road to Cheney Longville.
- Footpath 38, Whitchurch where it leaves Alport Road, at GR SJ 5451 4208 running easterly between houses then ENE across a field and continuing as Footpath 40 generally NNE across a field to a footbridge at GR SJ 5482 4219 and Footpath 39 from GR SJ 54674199 running north easterly for approximately 115 metres across a field to its junction with Footpaths 38 and 40 at GR SJ 5474 4207. The Order will come into operation on 3 September 2018 and is required in the interests of public safety during housing development works. An alternative route to continue on the footpaths network either northerly or easterly is by continuing northerly along Alport Road for approximately 370 metres to access Footpath 41 on the right which runs to Black Park Road.
- Footpath 97, Neen Savage in the parish of Neen Sollars running between Baveney Lane and the B4363 will be prohibited with immediate effect (14 August) on the grounds of public safety as the bridge across the watercourse is in a dangerous state.
- Footbridge on FP 2, Chirbury with Brompton nr Marton Pool Caravan Park between Marton Pool Caravan Park and Lower Wood where it crosses the Rea Brook will be prohibited with immediate effect (8th September 2018) on the grounds of public safety as the bridge is in a dangerous condition. There is no alternative route available in the immediate area.
- Footpath 55 (part), Ellesmere Rural at a proposed development site in Welsh Frankton from GR SJ 3635 3323 running generally northerly for approximately 40 metres to GR SJ 3635 3326 from 15 October 2018 to 13 November 2018 on the grounds of public safety while drainage works relating to the adjacent proposed development site are undertaken. An alternative route will be available around the closure to the western side of the path and clearly marked with diversion signs.
- Footpath 5, Shifnal, from GR SJ 3635 3323 running generally northerly for approximately 40 metres to GR SO 7571 0753 where it leaves Lamledge Lane generally north-north-westerly for approximately 245 metres to GR SO 7549 0763 from 12 November 2018 to 10 December 2018. The Order will come into operation on 12 November 2018 and is required on the grounds of public safety while works are undertaken to remove trees and carry out drainage works associated with a new development on land immediately north of the footpath. An alternative route is available using local roads.
- FP 59 Bayston Hill – Rail Crossing
That part of Footpath 59, Bayston Hill from GR SJ4898 0953 running generally north easterly for approximately 100 metres crossing the railway line to GR SJ 4907 0958 with immediate effect until 1 May 2019, on the grounds of public safety because of the likelihood of danger to the public where the path crosses the railway line following a recent Risk Assessment. An alternative route is available utilising a bridge crossing the railway line between the same grid references slightly to the south of the definitive line of the footpath.
- Footpath 46 Whitchurch where it leaves Mile Bank Road at SJ 5522 4309 and enters a former dairy factory site running south easterly for 75 metres to SJ 5526 4303 to meet Footpath 45 which continues south westerly for 430 metres to SJ 5516 4263 at a junction with Footpath 50; and also Footpath 47 which leaves Footpath 45 to run north easterly for 250 metres to a junction with Bridleway 51 and Footpath 48 at SJ 5546 3419 from 10 December 2018 for six months. The Order will come into operation on 10 December 2018 and is required in the interests of public safety during work to secure the site during redevelopment of the site. An alternative route is available off Mile Bank Road at SJ 5538 4327 using Bridleway 51/50 and Footpath 50 just south of the site.
- Bridleway 37 (part) Parish of Wistanstow
That part of Bridleway 37, Wistanstow in Strefford Wood from GR SO 4468 8534 running generally north easterly for approximately 600 metres to SO 4521 8551 and the continuation of Bridleway 37 from 17 December 2018 until 14 June 2019, on the grounds of public safety to allow woodland management and timber harvesting to be undertaken in Strefford Wood. There is no alternative route in the immediate vicinity.
- FP 43 Baschurch that part of Footpath 43 in the parish of Baschurch where it leaves Shrewsbury Road in Baschurch (GR 4257 2135) running westerly then northerly for approximately 240 metres through development site to a stile in the site boundary (GR 4248 2152) from 15 December 2018 for six months. The Order will come into operation on 15 December 2018 and is required on the grounds of public safety during development of the site. An alternative route is available using the pavement along Shrewsbury Road running northerly turning left to run along the pavement along Nobold and vice versa.
- BW 9 Rockwell Lane, Pant from GR SJ2708 2205 running generally southerly for approximately 110 metres to GR SJ 2705 2196 at its junction with Bridleway 29 on 12 and 13 January 2019 and from 15 April 2019 to 17 May 2019.The Order will come into operation on 12 January 2018 and is required on the grounds of public safety because of the likelihood of danger to the public during excavation on two strategic water mains and laying new water mains piping. There is no alternative route in the immediate vicinity.
- BOAT 29 Alveley - temporarily prohibiting mechanised vehicles and horse drawn carriages from proceeding on that part of BOAT 29 at Turley Green, Alveley from Grid Reference SO 76418582 running for approximately 510 metres between Gortens Dingle and a lake generally westerly then southerly between fields to SO 76118552 where it joins the County Road on 15 October 2018 for a period of 6 months to prevent further damage to the surface of the BOAT which is in a dangerous state. It is intended that the proposed restriction/s will come into force on the 15 October 2018 and will continue in force for a period not exceeding six months (unless extended upon the direction of the Secretary of State) or until any said works which it is proposed to be carried out have been completed, whichever is the earlier. However, it is expected the Order will only be operative for the duration as stated above. An alternative route will be available travelling along county roads
- Footpaths 6 and 2 (parts) Knockin
That part of Footpath 6 at Lower House Farm, Knockin, from GR SJ 3326 2229 where it leaves the B4396, running generally northerly for approximately 173 metres to GR SJ 3327 2246 at the boundary of a development site and also that part of Footpath 2 within the same site from GR SJ3325 2237 running generally westerly for approximately 64 metres to the site boundary at GR SJ 3318 2237 from 7 January 2019 until 7 July 2019 on the grounds of public safety to allow the commencement of development at the site for housing. An alternative footpath is available from the B4396 along Church Lane to the east of the site and along a Restricted Byway to the west of the site.
- FP 10Y Pontesbury, that part of Footpath 10Y between Hall Bank Road and the play area in Pontesbury from GR SJ 3985 0629 running generally northerly for approximately 36 metres to GR SJ 3985 0633 adjacent to the play area from 7 January 2019 until 4 February 2019 on the grounds of public safety because of the likelihood of danger to the public during works to the drainage run into the adjacent stream and construction of new manhole and headwall. An alternative footpath will be provided at a safe distance around the closed path within the field.
- FP 15 Ellesmere Rural - the use of a flight of steps on Footpath 15 in the Parish of Ellesmere Rural running between Horseshoe Lane and Caegoody Lane at grid reference SO 3834 3642 will be prohibited with immediate effect for a period of 6 months on the grounds of public safety due to the dangerous condition of the collapsed steps leading up to the disused railway line. The remainder of the footpath may be used either side of the steps but there is no other alternative in the immediate vicinity.
- FP 14 Ford - that part of Footpath 14, Ford from GR SJ 4145 1319 where it leaves the A458 running generally northerly across a development site for approximately 130 metres to meet Brook Gardens at GR SJ 41461332 from 18th February 2019 until 17th August 2019 and is required on the grounds of public safety because of the likelihood of danger to the public during the construction of an affordable housing development. There is no alternative route in the immediate vicinity.
For further information please contact the Rights of Way Mapping and Enforcement Team or Customer Service Centre on 0345 678 9006.