Temporary closures of public rights of way
Section 14 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 allows for the temporary closure of a Public Right of Way on the grounds of public safety to enable the applicant to carry out works. Following application, an order is made and advertised to close a route for a specified period, initially for up to six months (although this may be extended). Where possible an alternative route is identified for users and described in the notice erected at either end of the closed route.
To make an application for a temporary closure read the guidance note PGN 21 and download the application form - links available to both documents in the related information section on this page.
The following is a list of current temporary closures:
- Footpath 13 Bicton
Footpath 13 at the Severn Hospice, Bicton from GR SJ 4582 1380 where the Footpath enters the site running north then easterly for approximately 180 metres to GR SJ 4585 1394 where it continues to the rear of the existing Hospice buildings will be prohibited with immediate effect from 21 May until 1 November 2018 and extended until 20 December 2020 on the grounds of public safety whilst site investigation and building works are undertaken at The Severn Hospice. An alternative route is available between the same grid references running northerly then easterly around an area of vegetation until it meets Clayton Way and proceeds north along Clayton Way for approximately 100 metres until it re-joins the remainder of the footpath and vice versa.
- Footpath 50, Wistanstow where it crosses the railway between Wistanstow and Craven Arms (from GR SO4301 8389 to SO4303 8389) will be prohibited with immediate effect from 20 June 2018 for six months on the grounds of public safety whilst Network Rail investigate alternative arrangements for the footpath crossing of the railway. The closure has been extended until 20 December 2019. The only alternative route available is using the local road network along Long Lane, the footway alongside the A49 and the road to Cheney Longville.
- Footpath 38, Whitchurch where it leaves Alport Road, at GR SJ 5451 4208 running easterly between houses then ENE across a field and continuing as Footpath 40 generally NNE across a field to a footbridge at GR SJ 5482 4219 and Footpath 39 from GR SJ 54674199 running north easterly for approximately 115 metres across a field to its junction with Footpaths 38 and 40 at GR SJ 5474 4207. The Order will come into operation on 3 September 2018 and is required in the interests of public safety during housing development works. The closure has been extended until November 2023. An alternative route to continue on the footpaths network either northerly or easterly is by continuing northerly along Alport Road for approximately 370 metres to access Footpath 41 on the right which runs to Black Park Road.
- FP 59 Bayston Hill – Rail Crossing
That part of Footpath 59, Bayston Hill from GR SJ4898 0953 running generally north easterly for approximately 100 metres crossing the railway line to GR SJ 4907 0958 has been extended until 1 November 2019, on the grounds of public safety because of the likelihood of danger to the public where the path crosses the railway line following a recent Risk Assessment. An alternative route is available utilising a bridge crossing the railway line between the same grid references slightly to the south of the definitive line of the footpath.
- Footpath 46 Whitchurch where it leaves Mile Bank Road at SJ 5522 4309 and enters a former dairy factory site running south easterly for 75 metres to SJ 5526 4303 to meet Footpath 45 which continues south westerly for 430 metres to SJ 5516 4263 at a junction with Footpath 50; and also Footpath 47 which leaves Footpath 45 to run north easterly for 250 metres to a junction with Bridleway 51 and Footpath 48 at SJ 5546 3419 from 10 December 2018 for six months. The Order will come into operation on 10 December 2018 and is required in the interests of public safety during work to secure the site during redevelopment of the site. An alternative route is available off Mile Bank Road at SJ 5538 4327 using Bridleway 51/50 and Footpath 50 just south of the site.
- FP 15 Ellesmere Rural - the use of a flight of steps on Footpath 15 in the Parish of Ellesmere Rural running between Horseshoe Lane and Caegoody Lane at grid reference SO 3834 3642 will be prohibited with immediate effect from 2 February 2019 for a period of 6 months on the grounds of public safety due to the dangerous condition of the collapsed steps leading up to the disused railway line. The remainder of the footpath may be used either side of the steps but there is no other alternative in the immediate vicinity.
- FP 14 Ford - that part of Footpath 14, Ford from GR SJ 4145 1319 where it leaves the A458 running generally northerly across a development site for approximately 130 metres to meet Brook Gardens at GR SJ 41461332 from 18th February 2019 until 17 August 2019 and is required on the grounds of public safety because of the likelihood of danger to the public during the construction of an affordable housing development. There is no alternative route in the immediate vicinity.
- FP UN70 Shrewsbury – Part of The Pig Trough - that part of Footpath UN 70 from GR SJ 4909 1343 where it leaves Berwick Road alongside number 17, running generally south easterly along ‘The Pig Trough’ footway for approximately 40 metres to GR SJ 4911 1340 will be prohibited with immediate effect (from 10 June) for a period of four weeks on the grounds of public safety due to repair works to be carried out to the retaining wall. The remainder of The Pig Trough footway may be used south of the closure but the only alternative route available is via Berwick Road and Coton Hill.
- FP 1 Clive - Rail Crossing - that part of Footpath 1 in the Parish of Clive (approximately 10 metres) where it crosses the railway at GR SJ 50202482 (known as Dickenson’s Farm) will be prohibited with immediate effect (29 March 2019) for six months because of the likelihood of danger to the public There is an alternative route available using a parallel footpath approximately 350 metres to the north accessed via a road bridge over the railway.
Restricted Byway 75A Shrewsbury - Restricted Byway at the Sutton Grange development, from from GR SJ 4996 1034 where it leaves Oteley Road running in a general northerly direction through the Taylor Wimpey development site for approximately 540 metres to GR SJ 4980 1084 from 1st July 2019 until 1st January 2020.
The Order will come into operation on 1st July 2019 and is required on the grounds of public safety because of the potential danger to the public during works being undertaken on the track.
An alternative route is available via FP 77 to the East and FP 75 to the west of the Restricted Byway.
Footpath 80 (pt) Shrewsbury - Footpath 80 at GR SJ 5309 1060 where it leaves Hexham Way alongside numbers 2 & 4, running generally north then westerly for approximately 365 metres to GR SJ 5006 1065 will be prohibited with immediate effect (from 12 July 2019) for a period of 3 months on the grounds of public safety due the construction of pools adjacent to the public footpath.
An alternative route is available via FP 77 which runs to the East, through the Sutton Grange development .
For further information please contact the Rights of Way Mapping and Enforcement Team or Customer Service Centre on 0345 678 9006.