Reintroduction of parking charges
|Raven Meadows multi-storey car park opening hours for July will be 7am to 6:45pm. Charging will apply. This will be reviewed for August 2020.|
Parking charges are set to be reintroduced in Shropshire Council’s town centre car parks from next Tuesday, 14 July, as more businesses re-open and people start to visit the towns in larger numbers following the easing of lockdown restrictions.
It will remain free to park in all Shropshire Council car parks and on-street parking areas after 6pm (with the exception of Raven Meadows multi-storey in Shrewsbury), and in the almost 20 car parks in which charges don’t apply.
And in the vast majority of car parks parking will remain free on Sundays and bank holidays (including Frankwell and Abbey Foregate car parks in Shrewsbury). See here for details of car parks and charges.
Charges in all car parks were suspended in March 2020 in response to the coronavirus pandemic, and in line with Government advice that parking should be free for NHS and key workers. On-street parking charges remained in place.
Since 1 June charges have applied in a small number of town centre car parks (see further information).
On 14 July charges will be reintroduced in all other car parks in which charges normally apply, though in many car parks charges will start at just 30p an hour.
Public health and safety at all car parks remains a priority. People are advised to follow the social distancing guidelines at all times, and encouraged to use the MiPermit app through which they can pay to park without having to use a pay and display machine.
1) Car parks in which charges have applied since 1 June are:
• Raven Meadows multi-storey
• Bridge Street
• St Austin’s Street
• Quarry Swimming & Fitness Centre
• St Julian’s Friar’s
• Castle Street
• Listley Street – north and south
• Festival Square
2) Commercial car parking providers in Shropshire have maintained their charges throughout the coronavirus crisis, and people have continued to pay commercial / private fees for parking.
3) Enforcement – all parking restrictions will be resumed in accordance with the council’s standard operational guidelines and practices, and enforcement will be carried out.