Shropshire Council

Temporary parking restrictions on the highway

Social, sporting or entertainment event

Do you need to temporarily restrict parking for your social, sporting or entertainment event?

If so, you can apply to temporarily restrict parking in the vicinity of your event with the use of no waiting cones. For example, you may be organising a school fete and want to restrict parking surrounding the school for health and safety purposes.

How to apply

You can apply by completing and emailing us the application form attached to this page.

Guidance for completing your application is available on the form. However, if you have any further queries, our Customer Services team will be happy to help. They can be contacted by telephone or email.


Placing temporary traffic orders, advertising and noticing is free for events organised by charities and public sector organisations. However, there is a cost for enforcing the cones:

  • 0 - 50 cones - £50 per day.
  • 50 - 100 cones - £100 per day.
  • 100 - 150 cones - £150 per day.

Cones should be collected and returned to your local divisional office by appointment.

Private sector organisations should consult the application form for information on fees.

Publicity prior to the event

All types of events held within the public highway have one thing in common - they'll be outside or near to someone’s property, and may affect their enjoyment of that property or their access to and from it. This should be borne in mind when organising an event within the highway, and contact should be made with all persons likely to be affected in any way. Contact can be made via a knock on the door and chat, a card/leaflet drop to all affected properties, articles in the local press/media or the distribution of posters (but not fly posting) around the area.

In all cases, give an explanation of what the event entails, such as restricting parking, and the contact number of someone who will be able to sort out problems satisfactorily before the event. Remember, it may not just be properties in the road where the event is held that may be affected; take care to look at a map to ensure that everyone liable to be affected is informed. Be a good neighbour - this is the organiser’s responsibility.

Public liability insurance

It's a requirement that event organisers have public liability insurance. If external contractors are being used, the organisers must ensure that they have their own public liability insurance.

Do you need to close the whole width of the road to carry out your social event? Our road closure page describes what you need to do.