Shropshire Council

Changing your child's school

From September 2013 the regulations changed for mid-term or “in-year” applications and local authorities no longer have to co-ordinate applications. Online applications aren't available to change your child's school. To change your child’s school to a Shropshire school you should complete the mid-term/in-year application form and send it to your preferred school. Our guidance notes will help you to complete the form.

If the school isn't in Shropshire, contact the relevant local authority to see how you should apply to their schools. You'll find contact details on the Gov.UK website.

The decision to move your child from one school to another should never be taken lightly. A settled placement throughout both primary and secondary school is important. If your child is having difficulties, or you're considering a transfer for other reasons, please discuss the issues with your child's headteacher before making a decision. Moves in year 10 or 11 cause particular difficulties as it's unlikely that your child's chosen GCSE course can be matched at a different school.

There are a number of circumstances in which the local authority may define a pupil as being “hard to place”. In such circumstances The Department for Education (DfE) requires that all local authorities have a fair access protocol. This protocol has been consulted on with headteachers.

Please refer to the transfers and mid-term applications pages in the general information section of the Parents' Guide to Education in Shropshire for more detailed information on changing your child’s school.

If you apply for a school place and are advised that there's no place available, you're entitled to appeal against allocation of a school place to an independent appeals panel.