Transferring to secondary school
Children who are in year 6 at primary school will transfer to secondary school the following September and must make an application.
When to apply
Use the information in the table below to work out when your child is due to transfer to secondary school.
|Child born between||Transfer to secondary school in||Apply for a place from||Closing date for applications|
|01/09/2007 - 31/08/2008||September 2019||September 2018||31 October 2018|
|01/09/2008 - 31/08/2009||September 2020||September 2019||31 October 2019|
|01/09/2009 - 31/08/2010||September 2021||September 2020||31 October 2020|
Please note, applications received after the closing dates stated, without exceptional reasons, are not considered until all the applications received on time have been allocated.
How to apply
For information on how to use our Citizen Access portal to apply, please view the guidance notes.
Please use our Citizen Access portal to applyApply now »
Why apply online?
- It's quick and easy
- You receive an email to confirm your application has been received
- You can change your application up to the closing date
- It's available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- You can find out which school your child has been allocated before your letter arrives
If you have difficulties making your application online, or have no email address, you can make a telephone application by contacting the School Admissions Team.
Admissions adviser support
Admissions advisers can give you impartial advice and help with the admissions process when your child is due to transfer to secondary school. If you think we might be able to help you in any way, please contact us via the details on this page.
Some of the things we can offer advice on are:
- How the admissions system works
- How secondary school places are allocated
- How to complete the preference forms
- Oversubscription criteria
- OfSTED reports
- Travel details