Shropshire Council

Education, training and employment advice


During your time in the armed forces, you would have received basic and trade training. In some trades the training you receive is widely recognised in ‘civvy street’, for other trades the training is specialised for the military environment. As part of resettlement you may have started retraining for a new career, or you may now be thinking you might like to gain new skills.

The Career Transition Partnership can help you decide what job you'd like to do, and help you work out the best options around education.

The MOD's Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme (ELC) promotes lifelong learning among members of the armed forces. The scheme provides financial support in the form of a single up-front payment in each of a maximum of three separate financial years. ELC funding is only available for pursuit of higher level learning.

Locally, if you'd like to receive support from an organisation not attached to the military, County Training is Shropshire’s largest training provider. With six bases across the county it's a major provider of work-based training.



At college you can study full time during the day, part time during the day or evening, or by distance learning depending on which suits you best. You can study vocational qualifications, A levels or a degree. Colleges in Shropshire include:


There are two universities in Shropshire:

Both universities provide a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees.

If you already have a degree, a postgraduate degree could be considered to get more specialised knowledge.

Careers and employment

Veterans with military experience have unique and transferable skills. There are a number of organisations that can help sell those skills to potential civvy employers.

Mears Shropshire Home Services is the home improvement agency serving the county of Shropshire. It delivers a range of services designed to promote and maintain independent living for older, vulnerable or disabled people in Shropshire.

Mears offers those leaving the services and venturing into “civvy street” the opportunity of work placements to shadow the small repairs technicians in the field to learn new basic skills, or office-based staff to learn the various business roles that are fundamental to the day-to-day operation of any organisation.

In addition to this, general manager John Simcox would be willing to assist with CV writing, mock interviews and advice on how to approach vacancies and job applications to assist transitioning or former military personnel in finding gainful employment. Contact John at or call 01743 458332.

Jobcentre Plus

Contact Jobcentre Plus to find a job, change an appointment, check an existing claim or make a new claim or complaint.

Civvy Street

CivvyStreet provides help for ex-service personnel looking for employment. It holds lists of job vacancies and can help with writing a CV, amongst other support.

Skill Force

SkillForce works with partner organisations to give service leavers the skills, experience and basic qualifications to explore a new career working with young people.


Lifeworks is a fully funded five-day course which equips ex-armed forces personnel with the tools to get into and maintain a civilian job.

Would you like to be a teacher?

The government has launched the excellent Troops to Teachers scheme to encourage service leavers who have suitable qualifications to become teachers.

Poppy Factory Team

The Poppy Factory Team specialises in getting injured service personnel back to work.

Access to Work

Access to Work is a government funded programme available to support service leavers who have been medically discharged and disabled veterans to get back to work.

Starting your own business

Instead of being employed, have you ever considered starting your own business? Military veterans are being encouraged to use their unique skills and experiences to start their own business and become self-employed. There are many benefits in working for yourself, but it's not an easy journey. The Gov.UK website has information on self-employment.

The Royal British Legion provides ex-service personnel with financial help in starting a business.

The Princes Trust – Help For Heroes helps injured, wounded and sick ex-military personnel under the age of 30 to take part in tailored secondments with the trust’s team programme. These programmes give ex-military personnel who have been injured in recent conflicts new skills to sell to potential employers and enhance CVs.

X Forces supports veterans in their endeavours to start their own business, from business finance to training and mentorship.