Shropshire Council

Education, health and care plans

Most children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) will be able to have their needs met in a local mainstream school. Schools should adapt their approach and provide a personalised curriculum that is differentiated and that identifies any additional targeted support and intervention. Shropshire Provision for SEND - A Guide for Mainstream Schools provides further information about the support that schools can put in place to meet the special educational needs of children across all four areas of need. This is called SEN support.

Your child’s school may consider it necessary to request additional funding from the local authority to provide further targeted support for a limited period of time, or for a specific intervention. This may happen where the cost of additional, targeted support is likely to be greater than the resources generally available to schools to meet the needs of children with SEN. This will also include occasions where it may be necessary to access additional specialist support for a limited period (this doesn't include a one-off assessment by a specialist). This is called a graduated support plan.

If your child’s special educational needs are complex and/or severe and, despite receiving additional help through the graduated approach hasn't made progress, you or your child’s school can request that we complete an education, health and care assessment in order to determine whether or not it is necessary to issue an EHCP.  The video above explains more about what an EHCP is and what is included within it.

Young people can request their own education, health and care assessment, unless they lack capacity as defined in the ‘Mental Capacity’ Act 2005