Shropshire Council

Post-16 support (age 16-25)

Education doesn't stop at the end of school or college. Any young person with a special educational need and/or a disability is entitled to continue learning in some capacity, as any other member of the community can. There are support measures in place that could help make this easier for you, but once you've left school or college (further education) these support measures can change. This can be done through work-based training, supported internships, and vocational training such as NVQs.

Education health care plans for 16-25 year olds

Once you've turned 16, you're legally entitled to make a request for an education health care plan needs assessment for yourself. You can do this on your own following the guidance on these pages, or you can be helped by a friend or family member, or someone who helps you, such as a teacher, personal assistant, or care worker.

Any young person, up to the age of 25, can request a needs assessment for an EHCP if they're in some form of education, training, or vocational learning. The Department for Education's guidance will help you to understanding what the legal eligibility is for an EHCP if you're aged 19-25 years old and have special educational needs and/or a disability.

Where can I get help?

The Information Advice and Support Service (IASS) can support you in understanding your rights and what you might need to do to get the help that you may need to access education, training, or further learning. It hosts a specialist team which works with young people, helping them make sense of education health and social care services and systems they may use.