Shropshire Council

Useful information for young people

Who can give me advice about the next steps after school?

Colleges and schools employ key workers to support you and give you advice on any questions you have about the move from school to college, such as getting a job, questions about money, housing, keeping safe, and your health and care.

The Information Advice and Support Service (IASS) (formerly the Parent Partnership Service) can also give you free, confidential advice, information and support on any questions you have.

When should planning for my next steps begin?

It's really important that schools and colleges fully prepare and support you, giving you the information you need to make good choices about your future. 

Planning for your transition into adulthood starts while you're still at school from Year 9 as part of your annual review meetings, and they'll continue until you leave school.

These meetings should help you and your family start to explore and prepare for what's needed to achieve what you want when you've finished school. The meetings should focus on your views and what you're good at. If you have an EHC plan, from Year 9 onwards a document called a 'preparing into adulthood plan' will be completed at the meeting by you and those who have significant input to your education, health and social care needs.

What are my options?

In preparation for your next steps after school there are lots of different options to choose from:

  • You might want to get a job and begin earning some money
  • You might like to start a supported internship/apprenticeship
  • You might want to do some volunteering
  • You may want to continue learning and get more qualifications by going into further education to achieve your aspirations for paid employment, higher education and independent living
  • It might also be that after you've finished at school you move directly into children's/adult health or children's/adult social care services where you'll be able to get the support you need to live your life as independently as possible.  

Where can I continue studying?

  • Sixth form colleges
  • Training providers
  • 16-19 academies
  • Further educational colleges
  • School sixth form schools
  • Specialist sixth form schools
  • Specialist colleges

What study options are available to me?

If you decide you'd like to go into further education, there are lots of study options to choose from, including:

What support will I get if I continue to study?

If you choose to continue in education, we, in partnership with further educational providers, will work with the you and your family in ensuring that you're supported to achieve your best possible educational outcomes.

If you decide to go into further education you'll have a study programme that helps you to achieve your goals as you move into adult life.

Study programmes are designed not for you to repeat learning you've already done, but instead to build on your learning and help you progress in your studies. Study programmes can include a focus on real work experience in preparing you for a job, living on your own, being healthy and being part of your community. Our 'Options after school' page gives more information.

Where can I find out if I'm entitled to any benefits?

Find out more about benefits from the Gov.UK website.

Moving onto higher education if you have an EHC plan

If you decide to move on to higher education, you should consider whether you need to apply for a disabled students allowance at least six months before the term in which you start your placement there.

We'll pass the EHC plan to your higher educational provider should they request it.

What if you don’t currently have an EHC plan?

Thinking about asking for an education, health and care plan? Find out more about applying.