What does the Traffic Signal Team do?
We manage permanent traffic signals throughout Shropshire to aid and manage the safe movement of all users across the county. We currently look after:
- 34 signalised junctions
- 40 pelican crossings
- 30 puffin crossings
- 10 toucan crossings
- 56 zebra crossings
- 46 school crossing signs
- 10 cattle crossing signs
- 112 vehicle actuated signs
In addition to the above, we also operate an urban traffic management and control system, which connects a total of 12 signalised junctions in two corridors, one through Shrewsbury town along the Smithfield Road corridor, and the other on the Whitchurch Road/Battlefield Road approach to Shrewsbury.
There are a number of sites which are remotely monitored so that most faults are reported automatically and repaired promptly for public safety and network efficiency.
There are eight sets of traffic lights or pedestrian crossings to be found on the Highways Agency network in Shropshire:
- A toucan crossing on the bypass to the south of the Rocks Green/Henley Road roundabout in Ludlow
- A toucan crossing on the bypass to the south of roundabout servicing Sheet Road, Ludlow
- A puffin crossing adjacent to the Shropshire Hills Discovery Centre in Craven Arms
- A puffin crossing adjacent to The Craven Arms public house in Craven Arms
- A signalised junction on the A49 at Church Stretton
- A puffin crossing on the A49 in Dorrington
- A5 Shrewsbury bypass:
- On the signalised roundabout approaches where the A49 intersects the A5 at Dobbies roundabout
- On the signalised roundabout approaches where the A458 intersects the A5 at Emstrey roundabout
If you see a problem with any of these sites you should advise the Highways Agency directly.
What has the service achieved?
- We've improved operation and co-ordination of traffic signals in our major towns
- We've been updating equipment to enable the use of more intelligent traffic control systems to respond to live demands, and minimise congestion and delay
- We've made changes to the equipment installed to take advantage of new technologies, which has already shown significant reductions in our energy consumption
We're responsible for:
- Providing and/or approving designs for new traffic signal installations in the Shropshire area, from feasibility studies to implementation and commissioning
- Advising on technical aspects of any contract requiring provision of traffic signal equipment
- Taking, recording and acting on everything necessary to affect a speedy repair of any traffic signal equipment faults reported to Shropshire
- Administering the maintenance contract for repair of all signal equipment, which is currently operated by Imtech UK
- Checking on the standard of any completed repair
What else do I need to know?
If you have a query relating to traffic signals you can can contact us.
We're open 8.30am - 5pm weekdays (4.30pm on Fridays).
Our address is: Street Lighting and Traffic Signal Team, 107, Longden Road, Shrewsbury SY3 9EL, or you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Traffic Engineering
- Shropshire Council
- Abbey Foregate
- SY2 6ND