What is the Blue Badge Scheme?
The scheme provides an almost national arrangement of parking concessions for people with severe walking difficulties and people who are registered as severely sight impaired (blind) who travel either as passengers or drivers.
Badges will not be issued to people who are temporarily incapacitated, for example if they have a broken leg or are recovering from surgery such as a hip replacement.
Are you eligible for a blue badge?
You can check to see if you are likely to be eligible for a blue badge by going to the blue badge eligibility tool via the Gov.uk website using the link below.
National qualifying criteria
You will only qualify for receipt of a blue badge if you meet one of the following set national qualifying criteria. Shropshire Council has no legal powers to issue a blue badge outside these criteria. There are two categories for issue of a blue badge, these are ‘Without Further Assessment’ and ‘Subject to Further Assessment’.
Without Further Assessment (Automatic) criteria
You will be automatically eligible for a blue badge if you are:
- registered with a local authority as severely sight impaired (blind)
- in receipt of disability living allowance (DLA) at the higher rate of the mobility component (help with getting around)
- meet a ‘Moving Around’ descriptor (8, 10 or 12 points) for the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- in receipt of a war pensioner's mobility supplement
- awarded a lump sum benefit under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) within tariff levels 1-8 (inclusive) and certified by the secretary of state as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking
In addition if you have been diagnosed as terminally ill (this is where a person has a progressive disease and who is not reasonably expected to live for more than twelve months) then you will qualify for a blue badge.
Subject to Further Assessment criteria (if you do not automatically qualify)
If you do not meet any of the Without Further Assessment (Automatic) criteria then you will only qualify if you meet one of the following Subject to Further Assessment criteria:
- you have a severe disability affecting both arms and you regularly drive and you are unable to operate, or have considerable difficulty in operating, all or some types of parking meter
- the applicant is a child under the age of three suffering a medical condition requiring bulky medical equipment or immediate access to a vehicle for treatment
- you are unable to walk or you have considerable difficulty in walking due to a permanent and substantial disability, i.e. a condition that is likely to last at least three years
Your right to receive a blue badge will be determined by us, and as such you may be required to attend a blue badge mobility assessment in order that your eligibility may be assessed.
How can I apply for a blue badge
You can apply online via the Gov.uk website using the link below.
You will need the following information to complete your application:
- National insurance number
- Driving license number
- A passport photo
- Details of your current badge if you have one
You will be asked a few questions to see if you may be eligible before applying. These questions will only take two or three minutes. Once you have applied, your form will be sent to us for a decision.
You can download the appropriate application below or contact the Customer Service Centre on 0345 678 9014 to request an application pack.
Completed applications should be forwarded to:
The Blue Badge Service
Meadow Farm Drive
How do I replace my lost, stolen or damaged badge?
If your blue badge is lost or stolen or you have changed your surname - apply for a replacement
If your badge has been stolen you should report the theft to the police who will give you a crime report number; if your badge has been lost please contact the police to enquire if your badge has been handed in. You may be provided with a lost item number. You can then request a replacement blue badge by completing a blue badge replacement form via the link on this page, or you can download and print the blue badge replacement application form.
If your blue badge is damaged or faded - apply for a replacement
Download and print the blue badge replacement application form below. Send the completed form and your old blue badge and time disc to the Blue Badge Team at Shropshire Council.
Passport standard photograph
All applications must be accompanied by one colour photograph which should match passport standards. If you send your photo in digitally, it should be:
- in colour
- in .JPG or .GIF format
- no larger than 200 KB
- the same aspect ratio as a passport photo - where the height is 4.5cm and width 3.5cm
Please see attachment ‘Passport standard photograph’.