Shrewsbury Integrated Transport Package - (SITP)
The Marches Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) has identified Shrewsbury as an ‘urban powerhouse’ and ‘growth point’, and therefore key to the economic wellbeing of Shropshire. It also acknowledges the Shrewsbury Integrated Transport Package (SITP) as a priority project for Shropshire because of the important role transport plays in a successful economy.
To secure funding for the SITP, we've submitted a transport business case to The Marches LEP which demonstrates how the SITP will support the delivery of long-term economic benefits and sustainable growth for Shrewsbury and the surrounding area.
The proposed SITP aligns closely with a number of national, regional and local policy documents. These include The Marches Strategic Economic Plan, Local Transport Plan, Local Development Framework, Place Plan, and regeneration plans. These strategies make it clear that transport investment should benefit all modes of transport and respect and enhance the environment.
The core objectives of the SITP are:
- To contribute to economic growth; new jobs and new homes
- To alleviate congestion on the inner relief road; improving key junctions, and altering junction priorities
- To reduce the volume of traffic flows through the historic and commercial town centre
- To improve the reliability of journey times; for commuters and visitors travelling in and out of Shrewsbury
- To improve air quality in the town centre
- To encourage sustainable modes of transport by adding missing links to current pedestrian and cycle routes
- To enhance the built environment; which will promote a more positive experience and the visitor economy
- To improve safety for all road users, which will encourage the use of sustainable transport modes
Find out more from the following pages. All background information relating to the SITP is attached to this page as either related information or related documents.