Apply for housing benefit or council tax support
You may be aware that the government has introduced a new working age benefit named Universal Credit. This benefit is currently being rolled out nationally.
In Shropshire from 09/05/2018 most new claims for help to pay rent have to be made through Universal Credit.
You can still apply for Housing Benefit if:
- You, and your partner, are of pension credit age
- You live in specified exempt accommodation
- You live in temporary accommodation provided by Shropshire Council
- You and/or your partner receive a Severe Disability Premium included in Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance or Job Seekers Allowance
- Within the last month you and/or your partner received a Severe Disability Premium included in Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance, Job Seekers Allowance or Housing Benefit, and you still meet the criteria to receive a Severe Disability Premium.
If you have any further queries or are unsure which benefit to claim, please contact us.
You'll still need to continue to claim council tax support from us, and can do so using the form below.
Apply for housing benefit and/or council tax support online...Apply now »
Alternatively, you can make a claim for housing benefit or council tax support by downloading a claim form. We can assess you for both benefits at the same time, using the information you give on this form.Download a claim form »
A third option is to email or phone us to request a claim form...
Phone: 0345 678 9001