Armed Forces Covenant
The Armed Forces Covenant
The Armed Forces Covenant is the nation’s commitment to those who proudly protect our nation, doing so with honour, courage, and commitment. It's a pledge that together we acknowledge and understand that those who serve, or who have served, in the armed forces, and their families, should be treated with fairness and respect in the communities, economy and society they serve with their lives.
Under our own commitment to our armed forces, Shropshire Council will:
- Instigate policy changes that look to remove disadvantages faced by the armed forces community
- Ensure families with armed forces connections are supported to the upmost of our ability when accessing public services from us and our partners
- Coordinate and support Armed Forces Day in Shropshire whilst offering a variety of discounts every year at our leisure, golf and swimming complexes
- Coordinate events such as the Shrewsbury Town FC Armed Forces Match Day, giving civilians and our local armed forces personnel the chance to meet and integrate
- Promote the virtues of the covenant and highlight how businesses can work with the armed forces to support the armed forces community
- Actively challenge other partners, locally and nationally, who are not seen to uphold covenant values
- Please take a look at our current Shropshire Armed Forces Action Plan 2019-2023.
Under our commitment to our armed forces, we can't:
- Provide an advantage to any member of the armed forces community over the civilian community
- Guarantee social housing for transitioning personnel and veterans
If you feel you've been treated unfairly when accessing public services, please contact SAFCC@shropshire.gov.uk, and an advisor will discuss your options with you.
Shropshire Council is hugely grateful to the many businesses, detailed on the attached Business Pledge document, who have made a commitment to support members of our Armed Forces Community by signing the Armed Forces Covenant. By signing the Covenant, they have made a number of pledges (including discounts and guaranteed job interviews etc.) and offers on how they intend to offer their support.
For more information about the Armed Forces Covenant, or for further details on how your business / organisation can also pledge your support, please email SAFCC@Shropshire.gov.uk.
Funding for community activities
The Covenant Fund is a £10m grant given by the government to projects that will benefit the armed forces and the community generally. Projects range from building new nurseries in civilian areas where many armed forces families live, to funding military themed activities that increase understanding between military and civilian communities in the same area. To see whether you could get covenant funding for a project, take a look at the Armed Forces Covenant website.
If you're interested either in applying for funding for a local project, or would like further information on current and previous projects, please email SAFCC@Shropshire.gov.uk
Joint Armed Forces Needs Assessment Task & Finish Group - Shropshire Council and Telford & Wrekin Council
Shropshire Council and Telford & Wrekin Council are both signatories to the Armed Forces Covenant and both Local Authorities have established Strategic Partnership Boards which provide strategic governance on the delivery of the Covenant within their respective areas. These Boards previously identified the requirement to undertake a Joint Armed Forces Needs Assessment, within their Action Plans, to understand the Armed Forces community across the County of Shropshire. The Assessment considered local implications of national research and evidence in relation to key Covenant commitments and areas of need identified. The experience of the Armed Forces community was considered in relation to: Education and Children’s Care; Health & Wellbeing; Housing; Employment; the Criminal Justice System and Transition and Specialist Support.
The final Report identified a total of thirty key recommendations, at the heart of which is a need to ask people if they have a military connection and to think what this may mean in terms of service delivery and provision.
For further information please see the Terms of Reference or email SAFCC@shropshire.gov.uk .