Shropshire Council

Register a food business

Register your food business online with us, via the portal

Register your food business online »

What is registration?

Registration of premises used for a food business (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other movable structures) is required by law. Registration will allow us to keep an up-to-date list of all those premises in our area so that we can visit them when needed. The frequency of the visits will depend on the degree of risk involved at the premises.

Who needs to register?

If you intend to operate a food business, you must inform us about any premises you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food.

Food premises include restaurants, hotels, cafés, shops, supermarkets, pubs, staff canteens, kitchens in offices, warehouses, guest houses, delivery vehicles, market and other stalls.

With mobile vehicles, including burger vans and ice cream vans normally operating as a food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop or warehouse, you only need to tell us how many vehicles you have. You don't need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must tell us where they're normally kept.

Anyone starting a new food business must register with us at least 28 days before doing so.

The majority of premises will have to be registered.

Who doesn't need to register?

If food is being sold at a one-off events such as church fêtes and school fairs it doesn't need to be registered.

Food provided on an infrequent basis (even where it's not a one-off event) may still not need to be registered depending on the scope of the activity. Get in touch with us if you need to discuss this further.

Childminders - food safety is very important for childcare because children are a vulnerable group. This means children can be more seriously affected by food poisoning and food allergy than some other groups of people. If you're starting up a childminder business in England you need to register it with Ofsted.

How do I apply for registration?

Click on the green button on this page, or download the paper form on the right of this page, and complete and send it to the address stated on the form. If the form is sent to the wrong address your application will not take effect until it's received at the proper place. To make it easier for you, we recommend the online form via the green button.

If you have any enquiries, the Food Safety Team will help you. It's an offence to give information which you know is false.

There's no fee for this application.

What happens to the information given on the form?

We'll enter the details on our register. A register of the name of the business (if any), the address, telephone number and the type of business carried out will be open to inspection by the general public. Records of the other information provided will not be publicly available.

Will I receive a certificate?

No. The registration is just a way of telling us that you prepare or handle food. There's no certificate.


Once you've registered with us you only need notify us of a change of proprietor or if the nature of the business changes. The new proprietor will have to complete a new registration form.

If we wish to change the entry in the register, with the exception of amending telephone numbers, because of information we receive from someone else, you'll be given 28 days notice and an opportunity to comment on the proposed change.

These notes are provided for information only and should not be regarded as a complete statement of law.